Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
How long do you keep your childrens' artwork from school?

Mishie

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 8:25 am
The art work the kids bring home from school every week... together with their Parsha Sheets....
I'm not talking about the fancy ones!! Just the many many pages of either scribbles, or coloring pages....

Just to set it clear, I ablsolutely LOVE my kids art work, even the scribbling and Kishkushim.
But, I have no room to store it all!!!!

And I feel so guilty whenever I have to get rid of it.... (ever so slowly.... so it won't be so noticable....)
LOL

yo'ma

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 8:27 am
When I clean up and find it laying around. Whenever that may be... Rolling Eyes LOL !!!

BeershevaBubby

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 8:28 am
Oy, I SO know what you mean...

What about a large loose leaf binder?

Mishie

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 8:37 am
Yesha, re: the loos-leaf binder (aka: קלסר?)
My 10 year old begged me to keep his from last year, because he's planning on reading everything in it one day.......
If he keeps it in his bookshelf in his room, then it's OK with me for now...

But, all the rest of the kids Dapei-Kesher went out this summer.....

Ruchel

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 8:39 am
My parents have huge FILES of my "work"... LOL

Mishie

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 8:44 am
Ruchel, you're lucky!! I'm sure it's fun to look through it now that you're all grown up.

I wish I had room to keep everyone's stuff... but maybe just a sample from each year, for each kid will suffice....

p.s. I have a friend, who's DH's Mom also saved every last picture he drew!!!! (but I'm pretty sure he's either an only child or maybe one other brother....)

Ruchel

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 8:47 am
take pics, and keep the pics on a comp!

yo'ma

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 8:47 am
The projects that they do, with their own pen or paint or whatever, I do keep. Their first picture of a person or things like that, I write their name and date and keep. You were asking about the silly pictures that are a dime a dozen, weren't you?

Raisin

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 9:47 am
I bin them. I bought a large accordian folder to keep the better peices in. Some are scribbles, some are more indicative of the teachers talents.

I like to keep things like english notebooks, and my kids "news" notebook. (esther went to the zoo. I got new glasses. chana has a new baby brother.) I think those will be pretty interesting to look over when they are older.

flowerpower

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 9:58 am
They beg me to let them cut it up. If it's hanging more then an hour on the art frame they beg me to take it off already so they can destroy it.

anuta

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 10:56 am
I hang them up for a few days on the fridge, and then when kids are sleeping throw them out. I take pictures or scan in the most impressive ones.
I have no room in my house for so much stuff.

greenfire

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 11:16 am
still have them ...

you should see my bedroom wall - it's an art museum of the most precious kind ...

GAMZu

Post Sun, Sep 07 2008, 12:55 am
I take pics of the best ones and have a separate file on the computer.

The thing is they like to play with their projects, so they self-destruct eventually, anyway. Tongue Out

My son began to show his artistic side and draws really nice pictures- but prefers to do so on a Magna Doodle. So I take pictures and keep them in that file.

Nikki

Post Sun, Sep 07 2008, 12:58 am
I save any project that has a picture on it or the nice ones like for peasach. The rest I throw away as it starts to bother me or take up too much space.

ButterflyGarden

Post Sun, Sep 07 2008, 1:12 am
I hung a string along the wall in there rooms and use clothes pins to display their artwork. When the string gets full the kids know we have to take one down to put up a new one. Sometimes the old one gets sent either to bubbie or to safta. If it's really fantastic I file it (one file folder per kid per year only!). Otherwise out it goes to the trash. The kids got to display it and are happy and the piece they made weeks ago is not as exciting as what they brought home today so they don't miss it.

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, Sep 07 2008, 1:27 am
BTW, thank you all so much for these fantastic ideas.

While my daughters are too old for all this and right now my son is too young, I'll be back in this saddle in a year or so Smile

Ima'la

Post Sun, Sep 07 2008, 2:05 am
I like the scanning idea!

My kids have a large looseleaf "gan book" for each year of gan. They really enjoy looking back at them. Just recently they went through all their gan books and threw out the pictures they no longer felt were worth saving.

And what do you do at the end of the year with your older kids' machbarot? My daughter's school sent them home neatly organized in a custom-made cardboard box with handle...but it seems crazy to save this stuff forever...then again, much of my HS notes are in a box in my parents' house - I told them they can throw it out when they move (not that they have any plans to do so)!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics