Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Naming babies question- a thought I had

red sea

Post Sun, Sep 07 2008, 5:46 pm
How did it happen that it became a thing to name people animal names? Shouldn't it seem a bit odd if we tried it in english (or any mother tongue)? Are there tanach people with animal names? Do lubavich use animal names for people if it is a non kosher animal?

mumoo

Post Sun, Sep 07 2008, 5:48 pm
sure, dov ber, arye laib...

greenfire

Post Sun, Sep 07 2008, 5:52 pm
people in all walks of life name so many different names - it's not unusual anymore ...

my brother named his kid "rayne" because he likes rain ... and my sister's friend copied him ... What

chaylizi

Post Sun, Sep 07 2008, 6:11 pm
people do it in english all the time. you should check out what some of the commonly given english names mean. you might be surprised.

as for tanach- devorah is a bee, dov is a bear, aryeh is a lion, yael & rachel are livestock names. a chaya is a wild animal.

red sea

Post Sun, Sep 07 2008, 6:58 pm
chaylizi wrote:
people do it in english all the time. you should check out what some of the commonly given english names mean. you might be surprised.

as for tanach- devorah is a bee, dov is a bear, aryeh is a lion, Yael & rachel are livestock names. a chaya is a wild animal.

Ok, so thats 3 girls named after kosher barnyard type animals or a kosher producing insect. but who in tanach is dov, isnt aryeh lion of g-d and ari is just lion- so it doesnt really count?, (I was really thinking boys names when it dawned on me) and I cant think of any tanach boys animal named.

So like who was the first mother to say I want to name this cute little newborn bear? or wolf? I dont know any americans named gorilla if you follow my thoughts here. I mean these are more wild animal names I am talking about of the forest kind.

Which is why I thought of the q that I learned from here that lubav minhag is not even to have theses animals on baby mobiles or pajamas because you dont want their essence to rub off on you or s/t like that but then what is the rational behind the names? I thought Adam or someone named all the animals based on their essence.

And I thought girls named chaya are named after the shoresh of life not wild beasts.

I really am not going anywhere with these thoughts but thought maybe someone could shed some light on this strange thought that I thought of, kinda like ask the rabbi shiurs.

chaylizi

Post Sun, Sep 07 2008, 7:54 pm
I think if the name means something to you, you don't htink about what it means. you think more about what the name means to you. my father had a "wild animal" name & if I have a boy this time, it will be my honor to give my father's name to my child. it matters more if you happen to decide you like the name. for those of us who only name for family or rebbes it isn't so much of a problem, b/c there is other meaning besides naming your kid bee or wolf, imho.

red sea

Post Sun, Sep 07 2008, 8:01 pm
We have animal names in our family too & of course pple will use those names when naming after pple but its more of an itellectual philosphical side of the whole thing that just has me wondering.

stem

Post Sun, Sep 07 2008, 8:02 pm
I think it started with the shvatim, many of them have a corresponding animal which depicts their essence/personality/mission which are described in Yaakov's brachos to them. So, naftali tzvi is a common combination, and binyamin zev, yehuda aryeh, etc. After a while the name zev and the other animals became a name unto itself.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics