Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Very weird question, a what if, what do you think ....

mugsisme

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 10:42 pm
OK, so I have this idea for a story that I have been tossing around in my head forever. I really want to write this already, but it is just too weird, even for me.

I have two main characters, best friends. They are engaged, and they switch bodies. Now the quick and easy is for them to switch back before the chasunahs, yeah? Well, what if they never switched back? Are they allowed to marry the wrong boys? Do they have an obligation to tell the chassanim they are not who they think they are? How in the world would they tell their chasson what happened?

What do you think???

(BTW, in case you can't figure out, I love sci-fi/fantasy, and just wish I could see more of it with a Jewish twist.)

Leah

ShakleeMom

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 10:44 pm
Um, it can work!

Clarissa

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 10:46 pm
Reminds me of the Craig Lucas play, "Prelude to a Kiss." Not the same thing, but a body-switching story, where an old man and a young bride switch.

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 10:51 pm
hmmm...

freaky friday meets the shidduch scene?

if you can pull it off, kudos to you. in all honesty, I can't see either girl going through with the shidduch. it's a bit too weird of a concept for me, and I am a sci-fi/fantasy fan myself.

my uncle once lent me a collection of jewish sci-fi short stories and I found the concepts to generally be in bad taste. the authors knew the technical fine points of writing, but as a jew I had no appreciation for their stories. there's a fine line between a well written piece of fiction and a story with details beaten into submission. neither girl would go through with the wedding, if only for the simple reason that they're scared of a wedding night with a man they didn't mean to marry. if they were to go through with the wedding in the story, how would you, the author, get around that "minor detail?" the girls have to be human characters, and if you were to ignore that whole issue, you'd have a cleaned up but unrealistic story. unless you plan on writing it as a serial for mishpacha or binah. in which case you can conveniently leave out chapter 425 and none would be the wiser.

greenfire

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 10:58 pm
none would be the wiser ?!?!?! hm ... I guess they would have to quickly get back to themselves before the chuppah ... so the whole story rides on the excitement of how ... waiting with bated breath ...

unless you go with the body as the wedded rather than the mind/soul ... "halachicly"

mugsisme

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 11:02 pm
OK, so suppose it was YOU. You switched w/ your best friend. (And yeah, freaky friday meets the shidduch scene.) It is too contrived to have them switch back before? Or is it better to leave them, and they call off the weddings? Or do they marry the "other" chosson? Can you just imagine what everyone would be saying?

On an off note, do you like when the stories have a happy ending? Is it OK for a story to have a not so happy ending?

And what if they switch back at the mikveh? (That is how the whole story evolved. What if you came up from toiveling one time, and discovered you were not yourself, but someone else? But I could not do that, because I won't write shmutz.)

redhot

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 11:03 pm
seems like it oculdnt work if u follow halacha cuz how could the person sleep with two ppl/? a person is their neshama... it sounds kind of dirty to me actually...

mugsisme

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 11:07 pm
No, in the situation I said, if a person became someone else, they couldn't go home to their husband. but actually, I was thinking it was a married woman who became a kallah, and then she had to change back before the chasunah. Which is how I got into the whole switching bodies. I solved the whole problem of the husbands by making the girls single. But why does a story have to have a happy ending? What if they never switch back? Do they marry the wrong boys and live with a man they didn't want to marry?

Aidelmom

Post Tue, Sep 09 2008, 1:59 am
It reminds me about the mashal of a man who was going to the mikva and since everyone is undressed he was nervous he'll forget who he is so he tied a red string around his toe. When he got out the red string was gone. Somehow the string had come off and wrapped around someone elses toe. What: "If he is me, who am I?"

catonmylap

Post Tue, Sep 09 2008, 2:25 am
I think it would be more interesting to switch the man and the woman(who are married to each other). In a world where we have very different roles, it would be really interesting to see how the woman would get through learning in yeshiva for a day and it would be interesting for the man to manage the kids.....I'd make the woman pregnant too....lol

mugsisme

Post Tue, Sep 09 2008, 2:37 am
LOL!!! That is really funny. Hmmm ..... wheels spinning ....

zigi

Post Tue, Sep 09 2008, 8:17 am
wow catonmylap that sounds really cool! I also like the 2 single girls idea. musgine

Ruchel

Post Tue, Sep 09 2008, 8:24 am
Oh yeah, I want the husband to be pregnant Twisted Evil LOL

happyone

Post Tue, Sep 09 2008, 8:43 am
Ruchel wrote:
Oh yeah, I want the husband to be pregnant Twisted Evil LOL

I like this one. Thumbs Up Even just for a day!

ShakleeMom

Post Tue, Sep 09 2008, 9:42 am
I want a long complicated halachic mystery which all comes to a dramatic halachic decision, a sign of the times.

Tommy

Post Tue, Sep 09 2008, 9:47 am
Sounds a little bit like Rachel and Leah with Yaakov... we all know how that turned out!

creativemommyto3

Post Tue, Sep 09 2008, 9:58 am
Tommy wrote:
Sounds a little bit like Rachel and Leah with Yaakov... we all know how that turned out!

I was also thinking this!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics