Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
What can I use to clean the top of my stove?

HAPPYMOMMY

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 11:00 pm
Anyone know of anything that I can use to clean all the splatters and overboiled mess on my gas range. I found that easy off works wonders but I cannot go anywhere near the smell; it is totally toxic. What is strong enough to work those tough greasy stains but without the dizzying smell?

If there are any volunteers willing to demonstrate, I'll volunteer my stove top. LOL

greenfire

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 11:09 pm
lol you are too funny ... Nervous

how about baking soda with a teflon scrubbie ...

although I personally prefer toxic fumes Twisted Evil

anonymom

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 11:09 pm
For regular weekly cleaning, I use Fantastik. Spray it on, and let it sit on the tough spots a few minutes. Then wipe off. Before Pesach, I use Soft-Scrub, I recommend without bleach because the bleach bothers me.

GAMZu

Post Mon, Sep 08 2008, 11:53 pm
Try baking soda and you will NOT go back to anything else! Sprinkle the soda over the whole top, wet a sponge and RUB. Don't even need to scrub hard. Slides right off!

amother

Post Tue, Sep 09 2008, 1:35 am
If I have something really burnt or stuck on what I do is take a sponge or shmattah and dip it in boiling water and after squeezing out most of the water I place it on the burnt spot and let it sit. The warm heat makes all the gunk sort of melt away.

bubby

Post Tue, Sep 09 2008, 8:11 am
I use St. Moritz...yes, yes, I know, but I open the window, spray using rubber gloves, & let it sit for a while before I was it off. It really is amazing...I'm a very messy cook & it gets everything off.

greentiger

Post Tue, Sep 09 2008, 8:31 am
I was waiting to share this!!

Keep a package of baby wipes next to you stove and every time you tidy up your kitchen, give the stove a quick wipe down. Okay, it won't do much now but it prevents the heavy dirt from building upp in the first place.

GAMZu

Post Tue, Sep 09 2008, 9:13 am
greentiger wrote:
I was waiting to share this!!

Keep a package of baby wipes next to you stove and every time you tidy up your kitchen, give the stove a quick wipe down. Okay, it won't do much now but it prevents the heavy dirt from building upp in the first place.
Yes, I also found that a baby wipe takes off an amazing amount of dirt from a stovetop. I do it as a quickie clean when I happen to have a free second in the kitchen.

Fabulous

Post Tue, Sep 09 2008, 9:16 am
I have the same problem. I think I'm going to try the baking soda idea. But if you do want to use easy-off, I bought a fume free version in wal-mart.

Rutabaga

Post Tue, Sep 09 2008, 9:19 am
I've never tried it, but I've recently seen ads for a product called Cook Top Scrubbers.

HAPPYMOMMY

Post Tue, Sep 09 2008, 9:23 am
Can you imagine, I'm actually looking forward to cleaning my stove now. I really curious to see how the baking soda works.
Anonymom, I've tried fantastik and it doesn't remove the set in stains well enough. If baking soda doesn't work I'll opt for the soft scrub.
GR, I love that idea and will start asap if I can remember! Thanks for the tip.(I actually do the same thing in the bathroom with antiseptic wipes. Just wipe down before it gets too messy.)
Bubby, St Moritz works too good. I'll leave it in the store for you to buy; you can always share with greenfire if you're in a generous mood. LOL

Tamiri

Post Tue, Sep 09 2008, 9:30 am
::ducking:: If you clean up after every cooking session, you should not have to use too much of anything to clean. I Windex the stove a few times a week and take it apart once, before Shabbat, for a thorough cleaning which takes just minutes.
I also use baking soda. Make sure it doesn't get in the burner holes and clog them up. Also watch the ignition.

chavy

Post Tue, Sep 09 2008, 9:35 am
I wash my stovetop every day, I use a scrub with gillah and cleanser and it gets clean in no time...
I dont let the dirt pile up...

chaylizi

Post Tue, Sep 09 2008, 9:36 am
I usually use fantastik, but I'm going to try baking soda to see if it makes a difference.

tamiri, I have some rotten tomatoes with your name on it. I'm all proud of myself that I forced myself to clear my sinks and counters at night. lately, I've been counting down the seconds until my kids bedtime, so I can go to sleep.

HAPPYMOMMY

Post Tue, Sep 09 2008, 9:38 am
Problem is that I don't clean up each time I cook. But I will try that baby wipe trick so it should be easier.

Good thing I checked back before actually using the baking soda, Tamiri. I will be careful when using the baking soda instead of letting my stove top swim in it!

Tommy

Post Tue, Sep 09 2008, 9:38 am
Try using a Brillo pad.. they work wonders!

Tamiri

Post Tue, Sep 09 2008, 10:14 am
What's nice about baking soda is that it's no abrasive so won't ruin the finish on your stove. It absorbs grease. If you take a bit and put it on a grease spot then rub, the grease gets absorbed and you can just wipe the mess up. If you have a burnt spot and apply some baking soda with a bit of water (make a paste), it will eat through the mess for easy clean up.
Pyrex/glass cookware will also sparkle if you scrub it with baking soda. You know how pyrex gets these burnt-on brown spots, and yellowed areas? Baking soda to the rescue.
Also, if you use stainless steel pots, you may notice a residue build-up on the inside. Scrub with a bit of baking soda and it will shine line new.
If your plasticware like Rubbermaid or Tupperware has greasy spots or stains (such as from tomato sauce), guess what? You can soak/clean with baking soda and get rid of most of the problem areas.
I don't know if it works on acne.

NativeMom

Post Tue, Sep 09 2008, 10:21 am
Mr. Clean erasers work really well. I also like to use clorox wipes. I find they work well on my stove.

HAPPYMOMMY

Post Tue, Sep 09 2008, 11:09 pm
Five stars for baking soda and three cheers for baby wipes.

I cleaned the stove top this afternoon using baking soda. Since some stains were really set in I had to scrub with the baking soda paste several times. I'm too embarrassed to say how long my stove was left sitting all dirty, but I will try to be more on top of it and it will probably be so much quicker to get clean.

I also already used the baby wipe trick for the after dinner mess. Works like a charm.

Tamiri, I will definitely use the baking soda in some of those pyrex and pot tips. Thanks.
Nativemom, I didn't see your post till now, but I would like to try the Mr. Clean erasers too.

Thanks everyone for all the ideas and for helping my kitchen stay clean!

greenfire

Post Tue, Sep 09 2008, 11:49 pm
HAPPYMOMMY wrote:

Bubby, St Moritz works too good. I'll leave it in the store for you to buy; you can always share with greenfire if you're in a generous mood. LOL

lol Nervous I never heard of st moritz aside from the name of a hotel upstate ny ... is it that good Drunken Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry