Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Buying a laptop

PinkandYellow

Post Wed, Sep 17 2008, 5:58 pm
I just don't know if I should. first off, once I'm buying, I want to buy a good one. can I gett a good one for $500? currently I have a computer, 6 years old. I didn't already buy a laptop to replace it cuz I know a computer is a lot more upgradeable then a laptop. but right now, my computer seems to have a virus, both usb ports are broken, and my son broke the cd drive, b"H there is also a dvd drive. so I don't know if its kidai, kwim?

babygirl

Post Wed, Sep 17 2008, 6:13 pm
I think mine was around 600 my uncle got it for us its an hp really good...abt buying a new one it all depends on what u use ur computer for:) good luck!

Imaonwheels

Post Thu, Sep 18 2008, 12:32 am
I don't think you need a new computer if those are the only problem. The virus can be wiped for free and you can get Norton or Nod online for 80 shekel to keep them out. A new cd is also bobkes and it does not need a visit to a technician as they are plug and play internally. Most teenagers can put one in. I also have 2 broken USB and will be checking about that problem. In the mean time we bought a cheap extension cable that we plugged in to the USB on the back and plug temporary things into that. Printer, router and other things not unplugged often are plugged in in the back. Also inexpensive is a USB hub where you plug it into one usb and the other end has four. sort of like the strips you put in an outlet to get extra outlets.

The real decision should be made by what is under the hood and what your needs are - your processor, memory and graphics card. Are you interested in running Vista? PCs do not have to be let go they are very easy to upgrade on your desk or dining room table. Also a new pc is much cheaper by getting components on line. My ds just built his own computer (granted a more advanced and complicated project). He ordered everything and he and his friend put it all together including putting the chips and power supply on the mother board. The computer would have cost him in any store 20,000 and he paid 10,000 but he is studying for a degree in software engineering.

I have recently begun recommending that people buying new computers get one that is not Vista capable but one that has the umph to run it comfortably.

That said I just got a brand new laptop which is more advanced than my desktop and it cost here over 7500 shekel. I doubt that you need my laptop. The worst thing they have done is give these computers trade names, you have to know what's under the hood when you talk to a sales person. I went into the store after reading the intel information on their laptop processor and said I want a machine based on the 9300.

There are also little fcts that make a difference. The store I bought in for some stupid reason puts in their machines 3 gb ram but it only is used in pairs so you have memory chips for decoration. I think the idea is to get you to buy anoother gb when you order the machine as an extra.

I just checked on line prices and a dvd/cd is around 200 sheckel and a plain cd is btween 90 and 200 for the best.

I would not recommend buying a Toshiba because I have heard from a lot of people that they die quickly because of over heating.

What do you have in your desktop and what do you need to do?

NativeMom

Post Thu, Sep 18 2008, 12:43 am
My father just bought me a lenovo idea pad with windows vista. I'm not sure how much it cost but it's supposed to be a fairly decent computer. It was one of the top listed in consumer reports and I'm very happy with it. I do all my work on it, its great!

PinkandYellow

Post Thu, Sep 18 2008, 2:20 am
imaonwheels, I hear you and understand that there isn't any real valid reason to get a lptop. except a few things, one, I feel if we go back to amrca for vaction (which is df in the cards, hopefully, bH, knock on wood, al tiftach, etc.) I feel a laptop would be easiest cuz right now my main thing is college and its all online so I have a ton of websites and documents, and one of my textbooks is on my computer as well and I can print it but not xfer it. also, a little under a year ago we had a massive virus and had to wipe out hwole comp and re install it. it cost 'only' 600 sheks. since then we have had problms but bec dh's frinds do compu as a favor they have been helping us free. also, I just feel its old. but maybe I'm spoile dan djust want something shiny and new. dunno.

Imaonwheels

Post Thu, Sep 18 2008, 8:25 am
OTOH, there is a maala to laptops and many people are moving away from standard desktops. before Shabbos you put it into the tik. You can work wherever you want. you can take it on vacation.

My desktop is in my room and I had to sit on the bed to work. Now I have a special chair near the table to work at. If I go to dd to watch her kids I pack up the laptop. (they have no computer).

I am also not in my room so I am with the family more.

You do not need what I have, which is for graphics (Adobe), downloads and uploads, FTP transfers, multimedia and an occaisional simulation. This is in addition to internet and Office applications. My os is Vista Aero business edition. There are also the minis that are the size of a portable dvd for less than 1700 sh. They do nothing but surf, show videos/music and maybe word and excell.

Check out Zap.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics