Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cookbooks
Low fat kosher cookbooks

greeneyes

Post Wed, Sep 17 2008, 7:29 am
I have Enlightened Kosher Cooking and MealLeaniYumm. Are there any other good kosher low fat cookbooks out there?

I find non-kosher cookbooks to be frustrating, because the ingredients are often not kosher, or the recipes call for dairy ingredients (a problem when it comes to cooking for shabbos).

TIA!

Pineapple

Post Wed, Sep 17 2008, 7:44 am
greeneyes wrote:
I find non-kosher cookbooks to be frustrating, because the ingredients are often not kosher, or the recipes call for dairy ingredients (a problem when it comes to cooking for shabbos).

you can always substitute

Clarissa

Post Wed, Sep 17 2008, 7:50 am
I often use regular (non-kosher) cookbooks that specialize in low-fat, and I kosherize the recipes. But here are three that I have and like:

Our Food, The Kosher Kitchen Updated, by Anita Hirsch

Light Jewish Holiday Desserts by Penny Wantuck Eisenberg

California Kosher, a cookbook put out by a Women's League in North Hollywood

flowerpower

Post Wed, Sep 17 2008, 8:19 am
Dining in has some good recipes. I like it. There's another one I own called enlighten...something like that. It has a pretty picture on each page, says the calories...

greeneyes

Post Thu, Sep 18 2008, 7:56 am
Thanks for your replies!

Clarissa, other than the dessert cookbook, are the 2 other cookbooks you mentioned specifically "low fat"?

Flowerpower, from what I recall Dining In isn't a low fat cookbook. Am I wrong?

Thanks!

Clarissa

Post Thu, Sep 18 2008, 9:28 am
They're not specifically "low fat" but they're both designed to lighten and modernize some traditional and fattening Jewish recipes.

Here's a bit of the intros from each:

From Our Food:

"Some of the recipes I have included are popular favorites, modified by taking out much of the fat and salt. Brisket is here, but the fat is skimmed and discarded; the portions are smaller, and it is served with high carb and low-fat kasha varnishkes. Salad dressings are made with less oil or no oil. Matzoh balls are made with egg whites and no salt. You'll also find that the traditional cream cheeese and lox has been replaced with nonfat yogurt cheese and lox spread. Apple Streusel Coffee Cake isn't made with regular sour cream, but with nonfat sour cream, one egg, less butter, skim milk and fewer nuts."

It goes on, but you get the point.

California Kosher has some fattening stuff as well as low-fat, because it's created by a specific group of women (like the shul Sisterhood cookbooks of my youth, where they give the name of each woman who contributes a recipe), but has some good options. Here's how they describe it:

"Our collection includes many contemporary, creative recipes -- recipes that represent the growing interest in lighter and healthier fare, and California's mild weather and outdoorsy lifestyle."

flowerpower

Post Thu, Sep 18 2008, 9:28 am
Dining in is a regular cookbook but they have a lot of healthy recipes in it. There's an h on top of the recipe indicating that it's healthy.

cookielady

Post Thu, Sep 18 2008, 9:40 am
In November the new Kosher by Design low fat cookbook will be out for what its worth.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics