Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Esrog recipe?

chen

Post Fri, Oct 28 2005, 1:41 pm
Anyone have a clear, detailed, accurate recipe for making esrog marmalade using just esrogim with no added pectin or quince? I have about a dozen so-called 'recipes" from everyone and her Tante Sorah, none worth the paper it's written on. Most of them are along the lines of "soak the esrog in water, slice it, boil it with sugar and water three times and pack in a glass jar." I am looking for a real recipe, with quantities, cooking times, and specific process instructions. Thanks!

mother of 2 princess's

Post Sat, Oct 29 2005, 5:15 pm
apparently so I rav told us the esrogim are pumped with chemicals to make them bigger and its not healthy to use them!!!

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sat, Oct 29 2005, 8:25 pm
you serious? never heard that one

roza

Post Sun, Oct 30 2005, 9:09 pm
put them in vodka. makes good Esrogovka.

sarahd

Post Mon, Oct 31 2005, 8:12 am
Yup, I was told that too (about esrogim being full of chemicals and not good to eat.)

TzenaRena

Post Mon, Oct 31 2005, 9:13 am
I did hear this, but then, we eat esrog only once a year.

I make a compote (sorry chen, lots of sugar added, and quinces too) and we eat it Tu B'Shvat. I have seen in quite a few sources that a) we daven for a good esrog the next year on Tu B'Shvat b) it is an inyan, or a segulah to eat esrog on Tu B'Shvat.

The famous segulah of biting the pitum off for an easy birth and delivery (some say) is said to be evolved from the real segulah of eating esrog on Tu B'Shvat, for same.

chen

Post Mon, Dec 05 2005, 11:16 am
SaraYehudis wrote:
The famous segulah of biting the pitum off for an easy birth and delivery (some say) is said to be evolved from the real segulah of eating esrog on Tu B'Shvat, for same.

hmm..so what if you conceive after tu bishvat and deliver before? you missed the boat? or will the seguloh carry over even though you were not pregnant at the time you ate? does it have to be on tu bishvat? suppose you ate it after tu bishvat, once you conceived? won't it work then?

what I heard was that you eat esrog on tu bishvat as a seguloh to have a nice esrog for next sukkos, since tu bishvat is rosh hashonoh lo-ilonos. makes much more sense to me.

Chanie

Post Mon, Dec 05 2005, 11:23 am
chen wrote:
hmm..so what if you conceive after tu bishvat and deliver before? you missed the boat?

Shevat to Tishrei is only 8 months.

chen

Post Mon, Dec 05 2005, 11:55 am
Chanie wrote:
chen wrote:
hmm..so what if you conceive after tu bishvat and deliver before? you missed the boat?

Shevat to Tishrei is only 8 months.

Yes, so? If you conceive some time after tubishvat and deliver in cheshvon or later, assuming the seguloh is in the eating on tubishvat, you missed the boat.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen