Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Clueless in California (rant)

chanagital

Post Sun, Oct 05 2008, 4:27 pm
ok how bout this...what is the proper jewish ediquette when asking someone to educate you on a topic the person is not nessisaraly your rabbi or even a rabbi could be just a lay person... are you to debate the topic with the educator or interupt and be a know it all...Is it proper ediquette in one section of the world improper in the other? What makes it ok? To those who were offended before it is not intended to offend....just for my personal education. Something to think about. I can't go any futher than that because pple can get offended when I do. Just like it seems that some pple call it lashon hara when you are talking about someone they like...but are the first to talk about someone they don't like in a similar mannor and that is ok...I am just tring to educate myself.. not in the mind set to offend... but admitaddly yesterday I was in a bad mood and took it out on to many pple... so I say again for those who were offended sorry.

Last edited by chanagital on Mon, Oct 06 2008, 4:52 pm; edited 3 times in total

ChossidMom

Post Sun, Oct 05 2008, 5:01 pm
Quote:
ok how bout this...what is the proper jewish ediquette when asking someone to educate you on a topic... are you to debate the topic with the educator or interupt and be a know it all...Is it proper ediquette in one section of the world improper in the other? What makes it ok? To those who were offended before it is not intended to offend....just for my personal education. Something to think about.

If you don't mean to offend please don't say nasty things about entire groups of people.

Sorry you met people from a certain geographical area that may have acted impolite. I don't think that ALL people from that place are impolite. If I had met 5 people from LA that were not so nice I would not deduce that all people from LA are like that.

Last edited by ChossidMom on Mon, Oct 06 2008, 5:50 am; edited 2 times in total

waterbottle

Post Sun, Oct 05 2008, 7:58 pm
ChanaGital, I do not understand your question.

Lady Godiva

Post Sun, Oct 05 2008, 8:02 pm
chanagital wrote:
ok how bout this...what is the proper jewish ediquette when asking someone to educate you on a topic... are you to debate the topic with the educator or interupt and be a know it all...Is it proper ediquette in one section of the world improper in the other? What makes it ok? To those who were offended before it is not intended to offend....just for my personal education. Something to think about.

Do you mean if something doesn't make sense to you? I think it's okay to state your opinion respectfully. If you're speaking to a Rabbi, you can do it in a question form. Don't interupt when receiving an answer to your question and take a few moments to try to digest the information. Hope this helps...

chanagital

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 5:02 pm
just to set the record straight I don't think that all pple are like that... in one particular group... but it is more an observation that I feel the lifestyles of some parts of the world dictate what is concidered polite and what is not polite discussion. I don't like to dance around stuff. There are parts of the world that have as big citys the big citys demand you to be a little bit pushy or get pushed around such as a crouded sidewalk or a backed up freeway to be fair.... that is all I am saying. I just have an issue when these habbits get transfered into converstions or in my case I was asked to lead a discussion and I couldn't even talk because the pple in the room kept interupting me. I bearly let out a word before someone else had to give their two cents. When the discussion had to end I was left without saying anything.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette