Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Healthcare (USA)
Previous  1  2  3

Whose healthcare plan do you support? Obama or McCain?
Obama's plan to centralize healthcare under the federal government  
 29%  [ 23 ]
McCain's plan to give a $5000 credit in tax returns for Americans to purchase their own health insurance  
 70%  [ 56 ]
Total Votes : 79

BinahYeteirah

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 8:25 pm
I have to agree that it can be difficult to get Medicaid and other benefits without a payslip of some kind. My husband had a job where the pay wasn't regular (freelancing) and they wouldn't give us benefits because some weeks he had pay that was over the limit, despite the fact that he did not get paid at all for one or two weeks at a time. Then when he got a job with a regular paycheck, making 24K per year, we made "too much". There was no way we could pay out of pocket for health insurance. We sometimes had to use our tax refund for basic necessities like Pesach things.

So much stress!!! It would be better if we could just have healthcare for everyone without all this.

Pickle Lady

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 8:47 pm
Rikola wrote:
I have to ask, those of you who think the tax credit is a better idea, if you've actually read McCain's plan in detail. Employers, who now get a tax credit themselves for healthcare premiums for their employees, will, under his plan, be taxed instead. They will most likely drop you. If you have a preexisting condition good luck finding coverage. Also, the average cost for a family, co-pays and all, is about $12K a year. You'll be shopping to replace that plan with $5K of tax credit. (We pay for our own coverage, as my husband is self-employed, and it's more than double $5K for our family of 5. That's before deductibles and co-pays. And my husband is in the business.)

Just make sure you agree with all the details of the plan.

big big Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

catonmylap

Post Tue, Oct 07 2008, 12:44 am
Atali wrote:
Akeres Habayis wrote:
here in israel everyone is entitled to free health insurance,it sounds like our plan is the same as australia.
I think america is the only country that doesn't have free health insurance for everyone(of course I could be wrong)
if I still lived in the states,I have no idea how I would have been able to afford to have my baby.I worked full time for a chabad house,and barely made enough to pay bare necessities.

$5000 isn't a lot at all,and insurance isnt' even offered at most companies until u have been there awhile.what about the people who are waiting to be eligible at their job for insurance.what about the people who are already laid off and dont have a job in site,how will $5000 help them w/insurance?

You do not need a job to have insurance. My job does not offer insurance, so we pay privately and it costs just about $5000 a year for the entire family, regardless of the number of children.

How much more do you pay in deductibles and co-pays?

Mrs. XYZ

Post Tue, Oct 07 2008, 12:54 am
catonmylap wrote:
Atali wrote:
Akeres Habayis wrote:
here in israel everyone is entitled to free health insurance,it sounds like our plan is the same as australia.
I think america is the only country that doesn't have free health insurance for everyone(of course I could be wrong)
if I still lived in the states,I have no idea how I would have been able to afford to have my baby.I worked full time for a chabad house,and barely made enough to pay bare necessities.

$5000 isn't a lot at all,and insurance isnt' even offered at most companies until u have been there awhile.what about the people who are waiting to be eligible at their job for insurance.what about the people who are already laid off and dont have a job in site,how will $5000 help them w/insurance?

You do not need a job to have insurance. My job does not offer insurance, so we pay privately and it costs just about $5000 a year for the entire family, regardless of the number of children.

How much more do you pay in deductibles and co-pays?

right, we also pay about that amount but have a crazy high deductible. The premiums also depend on the age of the primary card holder.

Atali

Post Tue, Oct 07 2008, 1:17 am
$1,000 yearly deductable and 20% copay (after that). So in reality healthcare probably costs closer to $7k per year.

$5,000 would certainly help a lot with that.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics