Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Vegetables as side dish

drumjj

Post Sun, Oct 19 2008, 11:13 am
does anyone know any nice and easy recipes for a vegetable side dish that doesnt include green beans? thanks

buzzinmom

Post Sun, Oct 19 2008, 2:51 pm
ratatoille, roasted veg, cauliflower popcorn, roasted potatoes.....this is some of the stuff I make that only take 5 min to throw together...

bebe3

Post Sun, Oct 19 2008, 4:09 pm
You can cut up any type of vegetable into cubes, like yellow squash, zuchini different colored bell peppers, mushrooms, onions, garlic, sweet potatoe and anything else. drizzle over some oilive oil lemon juice and salt. Lay it in a roasting pan and broil, but keep watch over it so it doesn't burn. keep stirring until all the vegetables are soft. All the natural juices are unbelievable together.

NativeMom

Post Sun, Oct 19 2008, 7:25 pm
We love asparagus roasted in the oven with just a little olive oil, salt, pepper maybe some garlic and soy sauce.
You can try marinating veggies in italian salad dressing (like zucchini, mushrooms, and cut up peppers) and roasting them in the oven.
Roast potatoes with onion and garlic

shopaholic

Post Sun, Oct 19 2008, 7:38 pm
In my oeven right now - 3 lbs of carrots, peeled & thinly sliced & mixed with 1/2 c sugar & T oil & put in a pan to bake. From KBD.

tovarena

Post Sun, Oct 19 2008, 8:56 pm
I often make snap peas. I just cut off the ends and throw them in a saucepan with a little boiling water for a couple of minutes (I like them still very crunchy, so literally just 2-3 minutes). Simple and easy.

montrealmommy

Post Sun, Oct 19 2008, 9:01 pm
broccoli with garlic
scallopped turnips
"fried" okra (I bake it though)
cualiflower puree (instead of mashed potatoes)
broiled mushroom caps
broiled tomatoes in balsamic vinegrette
brussel sprouts (ok, so I'm weird, I love'em)
crispy spinach (toss thawed spinach with salt, olive oil and sugar, bake at 350 until it begins to dry, mix around and then keep an eye on it - it's a little sweet and crunchy! - even my kids eat this one up!)
fresh salads!

willow

Post Mon, Oct 20 2008, 3:23 am
montrealmommy how do you make broiled tomatoes in balsamic vinegrette? Do you mind posting the recipe?
Thank you

mimivan

Post Mon, Oct 20 2008, 3:45 am
vegetable curry..

cut up in largish slices potatoes, carrots, zucchini, onions, eggplant (if you like) etc...
sautee it in oil
add garlic (however much you want) alot of curry powder, salt, pepper cumin...the mixture should be dark yellow

add water and cut up tomato...(dont' add too much water...just enough to stew the veggies a bit..maybe half full water..until boiling then simmer on a very low heat for about an hour or so...

I used to tried to imitate veggie curries I had in the restaurants without much success until I discovered the secret of cooking on a very low fire for a very long time...

I might add some cardamom next time. sometimes I make it with fresh coriander

This can be great as a main course served with rice or as a side. For a main course, add tofu or chicken.

sorry for the absence of measurements...I made it up one day..
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes