Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
A woman making a siyyum

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Thu, Oct 23 2008, 4:22 pm
I have been learning quite a bit over the past year (I am BT) and my husband wanted me to make a siyyum when I finish lsarning all of chumash (plus some) I wasnt so sure, but when his grandmother, a wonderfully inspirational woman passed away I decided to do it in her memory.

im still a little uncertain about it. have you ever heard of a woman making a siyyum? It will be only women guests (with the exception of DH and maybe a few other close male relatives) Is this something you would go to if a friend or community member was making?

Crayon210

Post Thu, Oct 23 2008, 4:24 pm
That sounds wonderful! Good for you! 8)

cassandra

Post Thu, Oct 23 2008, 4:25 pm
Of course. I think that's lovely. I've participated in all-women's siyumim and we even said everything with the exception of kaddish.

teachby

Post Thu, Oct 23 2008, 4:57 pm
Yasher Koach to you!! I also learn a lot. Everytime I finish Chumash with one meforash, I pick another meforash and go back to B'reishis again.

Usually when I finish a parsha, or a sefer of navi, I buy treats for the meal on Friday night, and then after the kids say their divrei torah, I make my "siyum".

I never thought of making it a public event, but why not? I would think the women you'd invite would be very happy to come and participate. Be sure to have a great d'var torah prepared!!

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Thu, Oct 23 2008, 5:09 pm
I made a siyum with a friend when we finished learning Sefer Shmiras HaLashon together. We each had a few friends come and the little kids played while we gave over a little of what we learned. It was really fun and a few of the other ladies were inspired to learn on their own, too.

You should definitely do it.

Hello Kitty

Post Thu, Oct 23 2008, 6:01 pm
ABSOLUTLEY MAKE A SIYUM !! I''d come if I''d been invited!!!!!!!

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Thu, Oct 23 2008, 6:20 pm
I'd invite you, but nobody in their right mind would come to Albany in November unless they had a darn good reason!

I do have a dvar Torah I am working on about the place of potential vs achievement in judaism. it is almost ready.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Oct 24 2008, 9:20 am
I never heard of it, but around here the learning types (men & women) are very conservative and the more "for novelty" don't learn regularly, esp. women.

I think the idea is good but callig it a siyum is weird, like girls who say they learn at bet midrash (instead of sem or school). Just my culture maybe... but it's a "man's concept/word" for me.

rnidich

Post Fri, Oct 24 2008, 11:21 am
My MIL made a siyum at a shalosh seudos this past summer- she finished all of chumash w/ Rashi. It took her and her chavrusa 24 years! I can't tell you how inspiring the siyum was, and how proud of her it made me. I have since gone on to start a regular learning program myself (Tehillim with Malbim), with hopes that I will one day be able to make a siyum like that.

Go for it, and good luck!

Crayon210

Post Fri, Oct 24 2008, 1:14 pm
Ruchel wrote:
I think the idea is good but callig it a siyum is weird, like girls who say they learn at bet midrash (instead of sem or school). Just my culture maybe... but it's a "man's concept/word" for me.

It must be a cultural thing, because there's nothing particularly man-related about a siyum, and there are definitely women's batei medrash. Also, the room they learn in isn't called a seminary or school, if they learn there, it's a beis medrash.

greenfire

Post Fri, Oct 24 2008, 2:04 pm
sounds kool ... GO FOR IT !!! Study

Tova

Post Fri, Oct 24 2008, 2:06 pm
Sounds like a beautiful idea to me!

Maybe Ruchel's association w/ the word is because of the kaddish and hadran that a man makes when finishing certain parts of mishnayos, shas, etc.

But in my BY school growing up we always called it a siyum!

freidasima

Post Sat, Oct 25 2008, 10:11 am
Beautiful! Go for it!

Ruchel

Post Sat, Oct 25 2008, 11:13 am
Tova wrote:
mishnayos, shas, etc.

Yup, the only times I heard about a siyum were about this kind of things.

I'm sure it's just cultural... The first time I read about bet midrash for a girl I thought it was a joke or mocking her for learning (some circles really dislike women learning in a "formal" context)! When I saw it was serious I read to dh who said he was also bothered by the name/association.

But again I learned there are many things that are kosher and frum people do in other places thanks to Imamother LOL

teachby

Post Sat, Oct 25 2008, 8:27 pm
Quote:
Everytime I finish Chumash with one meforash, I pick another meforash and go back to B'reishis again.

Quote:
My MIL made a siyum at a shalosh seudos this past summer- she finished all of chumash w/ Rashi. It took her and her chavrusa 24 years!

That is incredible!!! I wanted to add to what I said above about restarting chumash each time: it takes me about 5 years to get through it all once. I imagine, however, that if I had a chevrusa it would take longer because of all the discussion, etc.

morahaviva

Post Sat, Oct 25 2008, 9:56 pm
In school whenever we finished a parshah we had a party and it was def called a siyum!!

catonmylap

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 12:08 am
My dh had the bat mitzvah girls he taught learn a whole book with him (megillat rut or esther or something appropriate and short for the time of year of their Bat Mitzvah), so then at the ceremony they could read the special siyum tefillah(hadran) and say kaddish. It made for a nice ceremony that they could do on shabbos morning and made more sense than reading a haftorah or something like that on a Sunday that they would never do again.

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 6:55 am
I have been really spending a lot of time at this (hours each week, both with chavrusas, and aslo at work on breaks and durring down time)

By the time of the siyyum I will have read, in hebrew, english and provided commentary (I am a very basic hebrew reader, so tis was also a chance for me to improve my reading skills):

-Every parsha in its week w/Rashi

-All 5 megillot,

-Mishlei

-Yehoshuah

my d'var Torah will be on potential vs achievement in Judaism.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics