Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Halloween in Australia? since when? - wtd about neighbors

amother

Post Sat, Nov 01 2008, 9:15 pm
I've lived in Australia all my life and I don't recall any halloween celebrations going on around my area. I always thought it was an American holiday.

Last year some neighbors kids (not jewish) came to my door dressed up in scary costumes and scared the wits out of me!!! I was taken aback but had the presence of mind to rummage up some nosh for them. I was a rather miffed actually as I've never been subjected to that before, it's not my holiday, I'm not celebrating and I just don't get it! Coming to people's doors demanding treats? Someone want to explain it to me?

ok so this year they turned up a half hour before shabbos and my son went to the door saying "who is it" but not opening. They answered "trick or treat". He didn't understand and thought they said "choo choo train" so he answered them through the closed door "there are no choo choo trains here" and they left. He then opened the screen and saw some teens in costumes walking away.

Do you think I should ask the mother to ask her kids to skip over our house or should I just brace myself to face it each year and try and remember when Halloween is so I don't get caught by surprise?

Isn't it a pagan festival? I feel resentful about being forced into taking part in a pagan festival Exploding anger

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Sat, Nov 01 2008, 11:01 pm
You can put a sign on the door "no candy"

amother

Post Sat, Nov 01 2008, 11:25 pm
Ima2Netanel wrote:
You can put a sign on the door "no candy"

That would work except that I never know when haloween is exactly.
I have no TV to remind me and no one else in the area celebrates it so it's not exactly on my mind when the time of year comes around.

So it would mean finding a way to remind myself each year to put up a sign just to keep away a couple of kids.
I think I may just speak to the mum instead.
Thanks for the idea anyway.

ozi

Post Sun, Nov 02 2008, 2:49 am
I'm an Aussie Mum too, and a couple of years ago I had a few trick and treaters. I wasn't even sure what they were there for.... Halloween is not a big deal at all in Australia (although the shops are certainly trying to change that!)
But after I figured it out, I found a couple of lollies and gave them some; I didn't want to spoil their fun, and it really wasn't a big deal.

Since then, I haven't seen any trick or treaters, and that's even better!

amother

Post Sun, Nov 02 2008, 3:24 am
yeah but it's the idea of it being a pagan festival that's buggin me. Plus, I get frights easily and I still remember that fright I got last year when they came in their scary get-up.

This year they are sure lucky it wasn't ME who answered the door when they came a half hour before shabbos Exploding anger
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette