Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
"Literary" poetry
Previous  1  2

Clarissa

Post Sun, Nov 02 2008, 10:00 am
poemmom wrote:
Ruchel -- That is fascinating, and great! Very Happy It might be culture, or it might be that as a BT I'm not as familiar with where different people hold.

Aidelmom -- I wrote "literary" so people wouldn't think I meant either funny poems for simchas, or other poems that were not meant seriously (even though a "literary" poem can certainly be humorous too.) I also wanted to signify that these are poems written with some awareness of the literary tradition of their language (ie., for a poem in English, some familiarity with English language poetry that came before.) Obviously this is very subjective, and we might not all agree on what fits in that category, which is fine and appropriate.
But in any case: "old classics?" -- Definitely!!!

You've all convinced me ... look for the thread soon. I want to kick it off with a good one!
I'll be right behind you. I'll have a hard time choosing.

poemmom

Post Sun, Nov 02 2008, 1:19 pm
Okay, ladies -- look for it in the Reading Room!

(Maya, I hope you post your Emily Dickinson poem! Since the screen-capture is a pretty large file, you might want to either type it in, or search for it on the web as text and cut-and-paste it in.)

Ruchel

Post Sun, Nov 02 2008, 1:26 pm
There's a French rebbetzin who is a poetess (charedi, Gateshead type, chashuv family, daughter and dil of rabbis, etc). If I can find anything online, I'll post her. I think her daughter is following her mother's footsteps. Anyone knows her name? I can't remember it.

Once upon a time, it was also ok to write poetry. R' Luzzato did, right? both religious & secular.
If you google rabbi and poet or poetry you have interesting findings.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics