Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Moldy schach

Seraph

Post Thu, Nov 06 2008, 7:00 am
we unfortunately didnt take in our bamboo schach in time for the rains. so it was out in the rain and got moldy. any thoughts on how to clean off the mold, or do I have to chuck the whole thing?

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Nov 06 2008, 7:11 am
Seraph wrote:
we unfortunately didnt take in our bamboo schach in time for the rains. so it was out in the rain and got moldy. any thoughts on how to clean off the mold, or do I have to chuck the whole thing?
we had that as well as well as quite a few other families here.

some said they put bleach on them. I dont know if that will help or not. we threw ours away. unfortunately we have had a LOOOOT of experience with mold and I will just tell you that schach is something that breathes, so the mold will most likely just continue to grow. there is no real way to GET RID of it.

hila

Post Thu, Nov 06 2008, 7:26 am
We have had this in the past and ended up throwing it away.

But if you wash all the mould off with bleach and then let it dry out totally (in the house probably since it gets damp outside from dew every night) maybe you can get rid of teh mould.

That is why we took ours down Motsei Simchat Torah. We learned teh hard way in the past.

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Nov 06 2008, 7:40 am
Yeah, we also took everything down and stored it away Motzei Chag.

If you decide to try and bleach it, it's important to make sure you kill it all because mold can become a breathing hazard and I wouldn't want that above my head next year... or sitting and growing all year wherever you store it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry