Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Receiving perfume you don't like

pinkbubbles

Post Wed, May 07 2008, 3:07 pm
I received 2 perfumes that I do not like as a gift. Is it wrong to sell them on ebay? I'll never wear them anyways (hoping the person won't notice!)

louche

Post Wed, May 07 2008, 3:10 pm
Selling a gift seems a little crass to me but I wouldn't hesitate to regift, donate to the PTA raffle or bring to the mikveh for others to enjoy.

red sea

Post Wed, May 07 2008, 3:19 pm
As long as its not your dh who might notice them gone, if you are not going to use them, it was a gift to you - If you sell them for $ take the $ and buy a perfume you like with it so the new perfume will be the gift from them.

All in all I think its a terrible idea to give perfume as a gift unless you specifically know what the person likes. Seriously, some scents make me gag. That wouldn't be too nice a gift to get one of those.

pinkbubbles

Post Thu, May 08 2008, 4:09 am
I dont think she bought it specifically for me- it was a distant family member btw- but happened to have them and just gave them to me.

I think I'll sell them and buy a new perfume.

rachel19977

Post Sun, Jul 13 2008, 8:14 am
I'd return it to the store and get another one that I like, or buy something that I need....

I dislike it very much when people purchase soap gifts and perfume, not knowing the person's taste or even if they can use it. I have sensitive skin, so any bath gifts sets are wrong for me. Dove only!! I have received 3 of them after birth, 1 I wasn't able to return, it looked like a gift that was passed down many hands, the other one I gave away to someone, and the 3rd I returned to the store and didn't have time to choose something else, and have a credit. Oh well! I think I'd sell them on eBay and be able to purchase something I need instead, I wouldn't be insulted!

ny_ima

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 8:27 pm
why r u even asking? u dont get someone perfume unless u know what they like!
sell it, spill it, its ur's to enjoy!

once I got perfume for hosting... called 'unforgetable'
guest wanted to 'say it in scents'
'unbelievable' would be a better title (just kidding! it was gr8 company, and the gift just meant thanks!)

flowerpower

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 8:30 pm
If you won't wear it anyways and the person won't know then you can go ahead and sell it on ebay. I got perfumes many times for a gift(from clients parents) and they have no idea if I use it or not. Luckily they are great and I use them a lot.

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 8:41 pm
louche wrote:
Selling a gift seems a little crass to me but I wouldn't hesitate to regift, donate to the PTA raffle or bring to the mikveh for others to enjoy.

Wouldn't selling a gift be the same as returning it to the store and getting something different? The only difference making ebay the middleman.

I prob. wouldn't sell it just because I'd be too lazy, but go ahead! Oh and I'm also allergic to all perfumes and smell soaps. You wouldn't believe how many I got as gifts.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 31 2008, 2:55 pm
I got a perfume for my sweet and loving DH and every time I smelled it, it made me gag. But I decided to use it for DH's sake when having relations Nervous

pomegranate

Post Mon, Nov 10 2008, 1:06 pm
maybe she gave them to you because she got it and dosn't like it either so she passed it on.

Fabulous

Post Mon, Nov 10 2008, 1:09 pm
amother wrote:
I got a perfume for my sweet and loving DH and every time I smelled it, it made me gag. But I decided to use it for DH's sake when having relations Nervous

Are you sure that he liked it? Even so, you are a good wife.

Fabulous

Post Mon, Nov 10 2008, 1:13 pm
Another vote for selling. Treat yourself to something you wouldn't buy yourself. You deserve it, you have a newborn at home.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Nov 10 2008, 1:25 pm
Sell, or start a perfume collection.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette