Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Does anyone ever have doubts?

amother

Post Mon, Nov 10 2008, 2:04 pm
Lately I've been having doubts about religion. I think deep down I feel that it's true, after all, that's what I've been living and breathing my entire life. But nothing seems to make sense when I look at it from an "outsider's" perspective. I'm not an outsider, but now that I'm out of school and learning, I look at it through slightly different eyes. All the famous answers don't really satisfy me anymore. It's not as if humans can really understand Hashem anyway, so the answers don't make total sense.
I don't have a yetzer hara to be non frum, or even to dress less tzanua, or watch movies... so that's not what's behind it. I find frum life most fulfilling and I want it to be true more than anything.
Every time I hear of someone else going off the derech, it makes me more nervous because if so many people are leaving, maybe it's not really true?
Help!

HindaRochel

Post Mon, Nov 10 2008, 2:12 pm
I think most people have doubts at some time or another. Sometimes doubts are based on intellectual questioning; we have a real question but haven't found an answer that satifies (sometimes the ansewr will never satisfy.)

Perhaps you need to search more in depth; to find someone who has learned the topics and can give you more involved answers. Intellectual curiosity is good and you should not allow fears that the answers may not satisfy or that you may have more questions, stop you from trying to find the answers. Do that and you are left with the questions and the feeling that they are unanswerable.

Sometimes however we go through a period of life where nothing seems exciting or interesting or whatever, and then the questions come up to plague us. We don't really have doubts as much as ennui.

In either case though I think trying to ask a Rav any questions you have, and letting them know that you aren't interested in the pat answers, or this or that answer, may very well be good for you.

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Nov 10 2008, 2:44 pm
I think it's rather natural that we sometimes have doubts on our beliefs. Hashem gave us a gift of mental capacity, where we can think, observe, and criticise sometimes. I don't think I have attained a perfect state of emunah myself--far from it, but I've come to conclusion I don't have to UNDERSTAND everything, everytime. As much as I hear discouraging stories (for me it's really tough when bad things happen to good people) I also hear inspiring stories and that helps to restore my emuna.

About people going off the derech, the glass is half full or half empty depending on your perspective. Think about it--as much as we hear about people drifting off, we also hear of BTs re-discovering the derech. Who knows, even the ones who's gone "off-road" may make a detour but eventually come back, P-G!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics