Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Smelly small garbage

Fabulous

Post Wed, Nov 12 2008, 9:59 am
It is just me and dh and I have a small garbage can in my kitchen. Some days it gets filled up very easily when I put papers and junk from around the house in it and take it out. Sometimes I take out the garbage in the morning and the after supper garbage is the only thing in the can by the end of the night. It smells but the garbage is too empty to throw out. Any suggestions?

NativeMom

Post Wed, Nov 12 2008, 10:01 am
try cleaning out your garbage can and put some baking soda on the bottom of the bag?

Fabulous

Post Wed, Nov 12 2008, 10:03 am
Although I've done that, that's not really the problem. The problem is that food stays in the garbage overnight and there's nothing else in it until the next night. I keep potporri on the bottom, still doesn't help.

NativeMom

Post Wed, Nov 12 2008, 10:05 am
sometimes I find it helps when you put food in a plastic shopping bag and then throw it in the garbage, I do that with leftover salad and cholent .

zaq

Post Wed, Nov 12 2008, 10:21 am
Put all food garbage into a tightly knotted plastic bag, AND/ OR put it in the freezer and take it out only when you're ready to take the whole trash out. That's what people do who live in private houses and have to hold on to their garbage till trash collection day.

zaq

Post Wed, Nov 12 2008, 10:25 am
My other suggestion is to take the garbage out at night even if all you have is a little. It takes only a little rotting garbage to make a big smell.

My other other suggestion is to leave the garbage can open. Keeping it closed speeds the rotting process and concentrates the gaseous emissions. By leaving the can open, you allow the emissions to be diluted. Unless the stuff is already putrefied and stinky, leaving the can open may be all you need.

Fabulous

Post Wed, Nov 12 2008, 10:27 am
Thanks. I think I'll put in a plastic bad tonight and see if it helps.

red sea

Post Wed, Nov 12 2008, 12:48 pm
I only will throw out the garbage at night but I throw it out every night, if I anticipate extra, I will just use a grocery bag instead of wasting an entire bag on just a few small things.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen