Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Fresh fish

amother

Post Mon, Dec 19 2005, 12:43 pm
I live in a town where I cant get fresh kosher fish. Does anyone know if I'm allowed to bring my own knife and have them cut salmon or whatever at the reg. fish counter?

posted anon. b/c Ive asked some ppl the q who know my screenname and didnt know the answer.

sarahd

Post Mon, Dec 19 2005, 12:52 pm
Ask your Rov, but I believe it's acceptable. AFAIK, even if the fish was cut with a treif knife, you'd still be able to use it (I don't know if you need to cut away part or if washing it off is enough.)

amother

Post Mon, Dec 19 2005, 2:35 pm
thanks I'll find out. what is AFAIK

mommy2

Post Mon, Dec 19 2005, 2:44 pm
As Far As I Know

miriam

Post Mon, Dec 19 2005, 9:09 pm
We buy frozen from Sam's club.

chanab

Post Tue, Dec 20 2005, 3:34 pm
you have to have your own knife and board and you can cover the counter/or the scales if you want to be more careful and you have to watch them cutting the fish. I think also you have to check the fish beforehand for fins and scales bc many treif fish have the same appearance as kosher fish

shopaholic

Post Tue, Dec 20 2005, 4:08 pm
Try PMing "girliesmommy" She has the same situation & I think she takes her own knife.

girliesmommy

Post Tue, Dec 20 2005, 5:48 pm
momof3 wrote:
Try PMing "girliesmommy" She has the same situation & I think she takes her own knife.
I once brought my own knife and board, and got them to clean it for me there, but I find that they do it so fast, and not as well.

Now, I get whole fish and someone comes to my house and cleans it here. Depending on how much you need, this might be a better option, and if you find s/o who is still studying in culinary school, they will do it for a lot less $$. This works well for me since he comes every few months and cleans a ton of fish and I make it into loaves of gefilte fish and freeze.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen