Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Do you own a Kitchenaid stand mixer? HELP

raspberry tea

Post Sat, Dec 10 2005, 9:41 pm
My dh was at a local store on friday that was having a big sale. He knew I needed a mixer and picked one up for me at a very good price. The problem is that the mixer is the bottom of the line 325 watt motor. I had no idea he was going to do this. Not long ago I did a little research on them and thought for what I'll be using it for, I'll need a larger watt/amp motor. Basiclly for weekly challah and occasional cakes, ect. What I want to know is if you have one...what size works for your family? Do you have experience with this model? Can it handle challah dough on a weekly basis. Should I keep it beacuse it was a good price or wait and pick up the right size when we can afford it? Thanks in advance to all who can respond.

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Dec 11 2005, 3:32 am
I have an older KitchenAid, and the wattage is less than yours, 250. The capacity of the bowl is about 5 quarts(?). The power on this machine is just fine. It can mix anything, it's very powerful. It can make heavy doughs, no problem.

I have a different problem, which is that the bowl gets loose from its moorings and jumps around when I make stiff, heavy doughs, because the base of bowl somehow dislodges from the place it locked into, as though the metal has worn flatter or too smooth for it to lock, so somehow the weight of the heavier doughs throws it off. (Something like when a screw no longer grips because the threading is worn) But then, my mixer is quite old. It's probably twenty years old. And I haven't seen anyone else with this problem What

I think they come with a good warranty.

elisecohen

Post Sun, Dec 11 2005, 4:36 am
I have the smallest and have never had a problem with the motor not being able to handle mixing. My problem is that it doesn't seem to be able to handle a reasonable (4 cup) load of dough without running the dough up the mixer arm. I don't know why it does this!

SMG

Post Sun, Dec 11 2005, 7:18 am
SaraYehudis, call Kitchenaid and tell them about your problem. My mixer was a lot newer, but I also had a strange problem with it (my lever for the speeds become dislodged.) They sent me a brand new mixer and paid for all of the shipping. I didn't have to leave my house once to take care of it and it was resolved in about 3 weeks.

shayna82

Post Sun, Dec 11 2005, 7:26 am
I have the 325 also, and have really no problem making any recipes, even ones with lots of ingredients. although, sometimes the dough does go up the amr, like elise's. I was thinking of getting another bowl and attachments and make it milkich, since the one I have now is pareve-

MMEC123

Post Sun, Dec 11 2005, 8:13 am
I also have the 325 and I make anything and everything (including LOTS of challah) in it with no problems.

Except the time I accidentally put the wrong attachment on..... Smile

shanie5

Post Sun, Dec 11 2005, 9:25 am
not sure what wattage mine are. but I love it and use it alot- a few times a week minimum. its probably the 350. its a five quart bowl. I dont like doing challah in it cuz it rises up the dough hook. but pizza dough, cakes, whips, etc-its perfect. I even bought one for pesach.

raspberry tea

Post Sun, Dec 11 2005, 9:29 pm
Thanks for all your replies. I double checked and I gave the wrong size it's actually a 275watt/ 4.5 qt. I think that's the smallest. And I think it sounds like it will be to small for weekly challah?! Unless you tell me otherwise???

hisorerus

Post Sun, Dec 11 2005, 10:25 pm
Elisecohen seems to think it will be OK, reread her post.

shopaholic

Post Mon, Dec 12 2005, 7:04 am
I have a 6 quart bowl (the biggest) & making a 5lb bag of flour recipe for challah works. It rises up to the top of the dough hook like Shanie said but I pull it off & finish the rest of the flour by hand.

my3sons

Post Sat, Dec 17 2005, 4:02 pm
I have a 4.5 quart mixer and make challah basically every week, but I only make an 8 cup recipe (makes about 2 large challahs) bc it doesn't handle more without getting very messy. I used to have the problem with the dough riding up the hook but someone told me that if you save some of the flour to put in when you see it starting to rise up, it keeps the dough drier on top so it doesn't wrap around the hook. It works!

ESTHER G

Post Sat, Dec 17 2005, 4:12 pm
I have the 6 qt kitchen aid and it is the best and u could definitely make challah in it, and one thing is that kitchen aid has the best warrantee I basically made the dough on number 4 when I didnt realize it said not to make bread dough past number 2, I called up kitchen aid and they send me a whole new mixer it definitely pays to get a kitchen aid

estherf

Post Wed, Dec 21 2005, 12:12 pm
shanie5 wrote:
I dont like doing challah in it cuz it rises up the dough hook.
I always cover dough with plastic wrap. Not to tight so the dough can "breath" but enough not to mess up all around.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen