Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Teach me how to sew!!

peanut butter

Post Wed, Dec 21 2005, 9:03 pm
Hi, I want to learn how to make clothing. Do you know how to use a sewing machine, or know anyone else that does, and can you teach me?
Thank you!!

Chanie

Post Wed, Dec 21 2005, 9:07 pm
I had the same question a few months ago when my dh bought me a sewing machine (which for some reason I asked for)
I ended up buying cheap material (they always have some ends at the back of the store) and taught myself to sew. I haven't done anything real fancy yet, but I get tons of compliments for my home decor that I sewed. When I got stuck on the machine, I called a friend who made the time to answer my question although her baby was only a few weeks old (thanks Yael)

peanut butter

Post Wed, Dec 21 2005, 9:22 pm
You just "taught yourself?" Do you think I should get a machine and start playing with it?

elisecohen

Post Thu, Dec 22 2005, 7:12 am
Call local sewing shops. They have basic classes, which I do recommend you take. You can just buy a basic machine and follow the instructions, but taking one basic class will teach you a little about fabric, pattern reading, machine fine-tuning and other aspects that you might not pick up on your own right away. Once you do that, there are all sorts of basic patterns, quilt instructions, craft projects and so on which you can get and do.

Larger sewing shops also will have a lot of sample projects for you to see what you can aspire to, as well as a better selection of fabrics and patterns with which to work.

Then all you need is the time to sew!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics