Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
All intelligent moms respond

myfriends715

Post Tue, Nov 18 2008, 9:48 pm
ok background info. ds is 14 months ka"h he had reflux as a baby but I took him off meds at 5 months and he outgrew it.. he has been on similac cholov yisorel formula from day 1 till he turned 1 and then we transitioned to milk w/o a problem.. anyway fast forward till last week all of a sudden I keep coming home (babysitter w him during the day) or even if im home towards the afternoon (starts right after 1st nap and gets a bit worse) he gets a red not pimply or itchy rash around his mouth and cheeks.. at first I thought he might have an alergy to soy sauce cuz it popped out right after lunch when he had a chicken and veggie stir fry but today he had fish and couscous for lunch and mac n cheese for dinner and I came home and his rash is there.. even a little worse than b4.. he is completly not bothered by it.. it is slightly warm to the touch.. he has had a runny nose for abt a week (though I had 1 too so I think it was just a cold) I know I should go to the dr but dont have time till sun and it doesnt seem like an emergency to me (taking off work, college) cuz he seems content as usal.. but to all you brilliant mommies out there.. is this a milk allergy? is this even an allergy? (I dont have allergies so I wouldnt know) is this just a sensitivity thing and its ok to have x whetever x is? pleaase respond
again it looks like a wind burn but isnt cuz they didnt go out 2day, not itchy, painufl, but is warm to touch?

HUH????

HAPPYMOMMY

Post Tue, Nov 18 2008, 9:57 pm
I have no idea what it might be, but a suggestion: why don't you call your ped and discuss it over the telephone? He might give you some ideas until you can bring him in to be examined (if it still persists).

I had to post in this thread b/c I want to be classified as an intelligent mom!! LOL

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Nov 18 2008, 9:57 pm
could be just a skin sensitivity. is he prone to diaper rash? also, it's the beginning of dry skin season, so any exposure to cold may cause windburn-type skin if he's sensitive. has he been sucking on his lips? lots of kids get nasty redness around the lips from sucking on them or licking the area too often. it can last a while, especially since the habit is hard to break.

does he show any other signs of allergy? if he seems fine otherwise I think it can wait a bit. meanwhile, you could call your pediatrician. no need to take him in for a visit. ask your babysitter to watch see if he's licking/sucking his lips, and to note if it's worse after an outing.

anonymom

Post Tue, Nov 18 2008, 10:05 pm
Toddlers drool or suck their hands. Add to that the dry indoor, heated air and it makes sense they would get a rash, unless it appeared suddenly, then it sounds allergic. So put some clear vaseline type of cream on it.

ganizzy

Post Wed, Nov 19 2008, 1:13 am
does he takea bottle, could it be irritating the area around his mouth?

did u start using a new detergent - u said after his nap so im thinking something in his crib.

does the babysitter wash around his mouth with a soap he never had before or does she do it too often?

octopus

Post Wed, Nov 19 2008, 12:57 pm
my son used to get rashes if he ate anything dairy. If it would touch his skin, it would get red and bumpy. I took him off of milk completely and reintroduced it to him at about 18 months (or maybe even later). He is fine now, as he outgrew it. But I did take him for a blood test. Blood test came back he wasn't allergic. I didn't take him for a skin test (there are two ways to test for allergies- and just because one comes up negative doesn't mean the other will be negative= possible allergy).

You should talk to your ped.

challi

Post Wed, Nov 19 2008, 2:56 pm
My kids get that from using a pacifier. I think it like a rash from the drool. Is he teething or uses a pacifier?

Tamiri

Post Wed, Nov 19 2008, 2:58 pm
teething?

sgr

Post Wed, Nov 19 2008, 3:13 pm
Sounds like a food allergy to me,I have allergic kids.I would go to a pediatric allergist and get my child tested.It's the best and fastest way to find out.
Good Luck!

bebe3

Post Wed, Nov 19 2008, 8:14 pm
My 18 month old gets this irritation after eating as well. Shes a messy eater and very susceptible to diaper rash. She just has very sensitive skin. A little while after eating it usually goes away. The greasier the food the more likely she is to have a break out. The cold outside doesn't help either. Her rash is just little red marks. I think if it was food allergies, it would be raised skin and much larger (imo).

greenfire

Post Wed, Nov 19 2008, 8:29 pm
I guess I'm not so intelligent ...

could be drool sensitivity dry skin ... wash his face before nap & after nap putting on some ointment ... but also touch base with doctor for his advice or in case you need prescription ointment ...

cookielady

Post Wed, Nov 19 2008, 8:36 pm
One of my kids got that when they had tomato products.

myfriends715

Post Wed, Nov 19 2008, 8:42 pm
thanx.. dont think its a skin irritation.. hes had those but this looks differnt..

hes not drooling a lot though he uses a paci at night but the rash really is during the day

I cant imagine its a milk allergy cuz hes had milk since the day he was born (in formula etc) and has had real milk for over 2 months w/o incident.. plus has has yogurt and cheese since 7 months

I def. will go to the dr on sun but I just am soo confused.. can it be some sort of virusy thing cuz he has a runny nose too..

other than that he is happy, eating,drinking, pooping, playing, laughing and sleeping..

my little enigma!

montrealmommy

Post Wed, Nov 19 2008, 8:49 pm
do you find it is more to one side of the face than the other? often kids get warm (body temp. naturally increases in the afternoon) and can get a very mild form of heat rash on the cheeks and around the mouth (often from mouth breathing, esp. if he has a runny nose). heat rash can be wirsened by dry skin or rubbed skin (see all the other intelligent mother posts from above) -

as for an allergy - I never rule those out consistantly but from the little info you gave it did not come to mind as a #1 culprit. Not the same foods, etc.... however, like someone else mentioned, if you are using a new detergent or face soap, etc... that can cause a skin allergic reaction.

TwinsMommy

Post Wed, Nov 19 2008, 9:18 pm
am I the only one who's thinking maybe impetigo????? (I think that's the name) a rash that comes and goes, mostly comes after naptime (when snotty nose would crust over and rash)..... a runny nose along with it..... and it's lasting over a week?

tis the season.

If it's impetigo you'll just need a prescription cream and waiting till sunday won't be a big deal, and yeah, it doesn't bother him. Both my kids had it.

To me it doesn't SOUND like an allergy, but my kids don't have allergies so I'm not so experienced with that.

My second guess would be teething--- extra drool during naptime causing a post nap rash. but then again, why wouldn't he have it first thing in the morning.

tell us what the doc says--- intelligent minds want to know! Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics