Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Kosher gelatin?

myomi

Post Mon, Dec 12 2005, 12:57 pm
I bought my baby a brand of yogourt for infants/toddlers..there is an infant on the box,today I was feeding it to him and I noticed it was very thick,I gave him 2 spoons and read the ingrediants it said "kosher gelatin".my baby is 9 months old and has never had fish,the dr said to wait till 1 yr,my qustion is though,what is kosher gelatin m,ade with?(im assuming fish,b/c u cant use meat) and is it ok to give to the baby?

SMG

Post Mon, Dec 12 2005, 1:21 pm
Sometimes kosher gelatin is made from seaweed.

RivkaS

Post Mon, Dec 12 2005, 2:39 pm
instead of fish-gelantine it is possible to use TAPIOKA to thicken things.

nicole81

Post Mon, Dec 12 2005, 2:43 pm
it's possible it's fish gelatin, so call your doctor. my doc says it's fine for dd to eat fish, even though she hasn't yet, and she's 8 months old. there's no official time when it's suddenly ok for a baby to eat it, so maybe your doctor will give you the ok if you ask again.

do you keep chalav yisroel? if not, stoneyfield farms make an infant/toddler yougurt that doesn't have gelatin and is OU-D.

He*Sings*To*Me

Post Sun, Dec 25 2005, 12:15 am
I've asked this same question to my pediatrician, a good friend, whose also Jewish! The answer is, "it all depends": in the manufacturing process, the high heat used to create the gelatine from ingredients derived from fish alters the composition of those ingredients in such a way that it shouldn't cause an adverse reaction in your child UNLESS your child has an known allergy to fish...then, all bets are off! (If allergies to fish run in your family, or if a close relative has an allergy to fish, it's best to proceed with caution.)

There are a variety of Pareve Soy yogurts on the market that we've tried...beware, though, if you keep Cholov Yisroel(we do) that they're not run on dairy equipment, which it usually states below the hechtser.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics