Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
WWYD

greenfire

Post Sat, Nov 22 2008, 8:23 pm
so my sonny boy is putting groceries into the back of our minivan - when an elderly lady tries to pull into the parking space next to him and crashes ever so slowly into our car ... pulls out a drop & almost does it again ... I was on the other side looking on in shock shock ... we had to guide her into her space ... when she came out of the car I said "you could have hit my son" she denied it ... part of me wanted to call the police so she wouldn't be able to drive anymore ... and the other part felt so bad for her I didn't want her to get scared of the police ... WWYD ?!?!?!

sunshine!

Post Sat, Nov 22 2008, 8:26 pm
I would have called the police. It is dangerous, if she is totally unaware that she could have killed someone. Oftentime, old people are reluctant to relinquish their licenses, because doing so would be an admission to their advanced age and capabilities (or lack thereof). I am not saying that all old people shouldn't drive, but apparently this lady was impaired enough to be a hazard to herself and others while behind the wheel. (This is just my opinion).

zaq

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 1:01 pm
Not sure what I'd have really done as you never know till you're in the situation, but the right thing would have been to call the police. It was an accident, after all, even if there was no damage, and as you describe it --couldn't she see that there was a person there? What normal person drives right up against where there is a person standing? -- she's a tragedy waiting to happen, a menace to both herself and others.

greenfire

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 1:04 pm
we regret not calling ...

drumjj

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 1:28 pm
I agree my mother had a car written off by an elderly man who was driving on the wrong side of the road who totally didnt see my mother. bh they were both not harmed but it could have been very dangerous

yo'ma

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 1:28 pm
greenfire wrote:
we regret not calling ...

Did something happen for you to be saying this now?

greenfire

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 1:39 pm
no - I'm just worried sick she is gonna really hurt someone and my son & I could have prevented this - by a simple phone call ... yet I was more worried about the fragility of the elderly in the moment ...

brooklyn

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 1:43 pm
Any damage to your van?

greenfire

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 2:44 pm
no - I suppose if there was damage we would've had a good excuse to call ... but the thought that somehow her hitting the van was a mistake and there would be no way possible for her to hit my son - standing inches to the right of where she hit is gnawing at us - well I guess we can't go back in time Confused
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics