Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Looking for a cake decorating idea

nehama

Post Mon, Dec 19 2005, 10:09 pm
I like to decorate cute cakes, and a friend's vort is coming up. Any ideas that won't take a million years?

hisorerus

Post Tue, Dec 20 2005, 12:42 am
Diamond ring? Use a bundt pan, cut out a wedge, and put in rice crispy treats for the diamond.

willow

Post Tue, Dec 20 2005, 7:19 am
cute idea

micki

Post Tue, Dec 20 2005, 8:41 am
kalla cake, or heart shape

Chanie

Post Tue, Dec 20 2005, 9:48 am
micki wrote:
kalla cake, or heart shape

Kallah cake is really easy. Make a bundt cake stick a barbi in the center... cover the whole thing with white frosting (can add flowers) and put a piece of mesh on barbi's hair for a vail.

pinchanygo

Post Wed, Dec 21 2005, 4:13 pm
wilton cake decorating website I think Wilton.com has great ideas

mali

Post Thu, Dec 22 2005, 2:17 am
I just decorated an engagement cake this week. Heart pan with 2 meringue swans and the Chosson-Kallah names. The swans are much easier to make than I thought.

SMG

Post Sun, Dec 25 2005, 2:03 am
I make a CASTLE CAKE. Bake a regular cake recipe in 2 or 3 8" or 9" pans. I tint the frosting pink (or whatever color you like). Frost between layers and on outside of cake. Also frost 4 sugar cones and roll them in the sprinkles of your choice. I like to use the shaped ones, like hearts or something personal for the couple. On one side of the cake, towards the bottom, use pieces of a chocolate bar to make a door and windows. I like to outline them with piped icing. Then use miniature marshmallows around the edge on the top and bottom to give a castle kind of look. I use the parve chocolate frosted smaller sized donuts (what's the brand? Francoz or something like that?) and put them in the corners of the top of the cake. A little frosting on the bottom of the frosted sugar cones, and those go on the donuts to make the turrets. To add more color you can use different colors of frosting, or more sprinkles around the cake. I've also piped Mazel Tov and the chasan/kallah's names on the 3 blank sides (w/o doors and windows). Or I've made flags out of posterboard with Mazel Tov, etc. and threaded them onto toothpicks which I stick in the very tip of the sugar cones. For a final touch, an inexpensive bride/groom cake topper in the middle of the castle, or if it is available, a color copy of a picture of the chasan/kallah glued to some posterboard and attached to a toothpick to be stuck in the cake.

This may seem daunting, but it is really easy. I was nervous the first time I made one and even used a cake mix to allow more time for what I thought would be more complicated. Turns out that even though there are a lot of steps, a lot of it is based on how creative you are and how much you want to potchke. It's really fun and not too hard. I can knock one of these out in 30 minutes or less (not including the actual cake. )

I've also made this a couple of times for my daughter's birthday and for other family members.

nehama

Post Mon, Dec 26 2005, 1:39 am
Thank you all for replying with your cute ideas!

Here's the cake I ended up making:

It's a round layered cake with white icing. Standing on top of the cake are an edible Chosson and Kallah I formed out of fondant. Then I wrote out "Mazel Tov" with chocolate formed in an Alef Beis mold and put pink chocolate flowers around it.

I'd like to post a picture of it, but I don't know how.

TzenaRena

Post Mon, Dec 26 2005, 10:05 am
Quote:
I make a CASTLE CAKE
SMG, that's such a SMashing idea! really creative.

SMG

Post Mon, Dec 26 2005, 3:25 pm
Thanks. If I ever find my USB cord so I can upload pictures, I'll try to post one of the cake.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen