Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
2-3 day vacation in the tristate area

Basya

Post Mon, Dec 01 2008, 12:06 pm
dh and I need to get away. looking for something relaxing to do for a sun, mon, tuesday in december. Not looking to spend alot, so airfare is out. But we really need to feel like we are on vacation....

Any ideas???

bpgirl

Post Mon, Dec 01 2008, 12:29 pm
how about the poconos?

Mommastuff

Post Mon, Dec 01 2008, 12:41 pm
how about a cabin with a fireplace? Bring lots of hot cocoa and marshmallows!

or get a hotel room close to museums, order room service (or pizza delivery)...

or just go to a place that you've never been to and ask the locals for advice.

Basya

Post Mon, Dec 01 2008, 12:48 pm
What is there to do in the poconos? Is there kosher food there? Where can I find all this information. Everyone says- "just find out what to do at xyz..." but I dont know where to get this information from. Please keep the ideas coming!!

anon

Post Mon, Dec 01 2008, 1:27 pm
Atlantic City.

Althoguh truthfully, I would recommend it more strongly when the weather is nice enough to walk around, because they have a whole boardwalk with little shops. They also have a big outlet shopping center that you can walk around. So in nice weather, you can really enjoy the strolling.

But even without the nice weather, you have the outlet mall, a bit of gambling, nice hotels, and you've got the boardwalk if it's not too cold.

Basya

Post Mon, Dec 01 2008, 1:51 pm
Is there kosher food in Atlantic city?

Lani22

Post Mon, Dec 01 2008, 2:07 pm
Basya wrote:
Is there kosher food in Atlantic city?

there are 2 meat restaurants both very pricey and both not so good- plus I heard recently there might be problems with their hashgachas. I would bring food.

anon

Post Mon, Dec 01 2008, 2:37 pm
VERY pricey, I assume because they have to make up for the lack of business....how many ppl need kosher food in atlantic city?

Shari's is good food, but it's not good enough for the money they charge.

Basya

Post Mon, Dec 01 2008, 4:11 pm
Any other ideas? Atlantic City doesnt sound so interesting to me.

princessleah

Post Mon, Dec 01 2008, 4:29 pm
If you have a car, you could drive down to Washington, D.C. or Baltimore if you know people to stay with. The attraction is that all the museums in Washington are FREE so all you have to worry about is food/lodging. Plus the outdoor memorials are gorgeous, and it's a little warmer than the NY area.

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Dec 01 2008, 4:33 pm
That's true. You could even spend a day in DC and one in Philly. DC has a couple of restaurants in DC proper or you can go to Silver Spring. Philly also has a couple restaurants in Center City.

Barbara

Post Mon, Dec 01 2008, 4:39 pm
Basya wrote:
Any other ideas? Atlantic City doesnt sound so interesting to me.

Skiing in any of the very numerous ski resorts in the region. If you're not into skiing, many places have other amemities as well as lovely areas for walking.

You could try an out of season resort like Lake George. (You'd need to bring food.)

Hotels in any major city are likely to be expensive x-mas week, but you might be OK at other times. Be a NYC tourist, staying at a nice hotel, going to museums and shows, going out to dinner, seeing the tree at Rockerfeller Center (I figure that *we* have the holiday of lights; they must be putting up all this stuff just for our benefit LOL ). Or do the same in any other city in driving distance -- Philadelphia, Boston, Baltimore, DC.

canadamom

Post Mon, Dec 01 2008, 5:52 pm
you can go to deal to the ocean place resort and spa. they have a great spa, it's not far from brooklyn, and there are great places to go out to eat. this is more like a 2 night one day vacation, just to chill out not too much action.

Leahh

Post Mon, Dec 01 2008, 10:06 pm
Dh and I have done a few such vacations. I recommend Allentown, PA (less than 2 hrs from Brooklyn), Herhsey and\or Lancaster, PA (45 Min from eachother - Lancaster being closer to Brooklyn), Mystic, CT (about 3 hrs from Brooklyn) or Bridgeport, CT. There are a few other places in CT that I can't think of off hand.
Are you a AAA member? Thats where I got all my resources.
If not, try online searches.

Mrs. Mommy

Post Mon, Dec 01 2008, 11:42 pm
how about the caesars poconos resort?
u can check out the website http://www.caesarspoconoresorts.com
it is a lot of fun and there is a lot to do there.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics