Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Your favorite quinoa recipe

greeneyes

Post Thu, Sep 18 2008, 10:58 am
I just bought quinoa for the first time, and I'm excited to try it out. I'm not quite sure what to do with it though.

What's your favorite quinoa recipe?

Thanks!

Tamiri

Post Thu, Sep 18 2008, 11:15 am
Plain.
Soak the quinoa for about 1/2 hour to remove bitterness.
Saute onions in a pan.
Add drained quinoa and toast for a couple of minutes.
Add boiling water at a 1:1 ratio.
Cover pot and lower flame. Cook until water is absorbed.
Add salt.
Enjoy.

mamacita

Post Thu, Sep 18 2008, 11:16 am
I've used quinoa as a substitute for couscous and one time used it when I realized too late that I had no barley for the cholent. It was delicious and even though dh liked it he is a purist so it won't fly again unless we run into a similar sitch.

I've heard it can be used as a sub for rice also, but again I have to sneak it by dh . . .

here's how I make tabbouleh for shabbos:
rinse & cook quinoa
let cool
mix with diced tomato, purple onion, cilantro (or parsley but it's not the same) a dash of lemon juice, a dash of pepper and paprika

serve cold.

Zus

Post Thu, Sep 18 2008, 1:58 pm
mamacita wrote:

here's how I make tabbouleh for shabbos:
rinse & cook quinoa
let cool
mix with diced tomato, purple onion, cilantro (or parsley but it's not the same) a dash of lemon juice, a dash of pepper and paprika

serve cold.

Yes! It's one of my favorite recipes. I got it out of Jeffrey Nathan's cookbook.

cheerios

Post Thu, Sep 18 2008, 2:01 pm
Quote:
Soak the quinoa for about 1/2 hour to remove bitterness.

Really? I didn't know that. (Is that why no one in my family liked it?)

Zus

Post Thu, Sep 18 2008, 2:04 pm
I don't soak it, and my tabbouleh doesn't taste bitter.

Tamiri

Post Thu, Sep 18 2008, 2:27 pm
There is a specific bitter aftertaste to quinoa, which can be removed by soaking. I learned that the hard way: after having to throw out the first batch I made. If you are not sensitive to the bitterness, that's great. But, it's there.

greeneyes

Post Thu, Sep 18 2008, 4:02 pm
Thanks, ladies!

Tamiri, do you need to use a lot of oil to make your quinoa? Can I just use Pam?

Mamacita, I'm thinking of trying your tabbouleh for shabbos. Thank you!

MOE

Post Thu, Sep 18 2008, 5:23 pm
there is deffintly a bitterness to quinoa but instead of soaking I mix in honey into the finnished product...

by the way its not equal parts water its half so 2 cups quinoa to 1 cup water other wise it gets all mushy....I put it in the pot and cook till done and all the water is absorbed....I then let it cool I add olive oil,lemon juice, honey, salt, pepper, cilantro or basil, cucumbers, peppers, red onion, and I like pomagranit seeds.

grin

Post Thu, Sep 18 2008, 6:14 pm
I don't soak it - I just rinse it out first with cold water and it's fine. You can use it instead of other grains in almost anything. My latest trial was adding it to leftover chicken and veggie soup form Shabbos. It came out very good, B"H.

shabri

Post Fri, Sep 19 2008, 12:59 am
I rinse it well. Then make it like it says on the directions.

After its cooked I add 3 TBS soy sauce and 3 TBS seseme oil. I get loads of compliments.

Last shabbos I realized I ran out of soy sauce (I had the quinoa all made I was just going to add the soy & seseme) So I tool some leftover roasted butternut squash, cut it up, added craisins and put in salt, pepper a little olive oil and some splenda. Came out delish.

Basically you can do anything with quinoa. Take any rice recipe and sub it in. There is also a yummy thai quinoa in KBD short on time that I make a lot as well

Tamiri

Post Fri, Sep 19 2008, 1:15 am
greeneyes wrote:
Thanks, ladies!

Tamiri, do you need to use a lot of oil to make your quinoa? Can I just use Pam?

Mamacita, I'm thinking of trying your tabbouleh for shabbos. Thank you!

You don't have to use oil at all. If you want sauted onions, just do them the way you would for anything else.

birdstar

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 6:25 pm
Best Quinoa recipe is for Thai Quinoa
1& 1/3 cups dry quinoa
3 cups water
1 jalepeno pepper, seeded and minced
6 leaves fresh basil finely chopped
3 sprigs fresh cilantro leaves gently torn (discard stems)
1/3 cup red onion
1/2 firm mango peeled pitted and cut into 1/8 inch dice
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 tablespoon lime juice

Rinse quinoa thoroughly to get off soapy coating. Place in medium pot with water. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer til water is absorbed (10-15 minutes)or until grains turn translucent and outer layer pops off. Drain
mix all other ingredients in a bowl, add cooked and drained quinoa and toss to combine. season with more salt to taste. serve warm or at room temperature
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes