Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Spanish rice - for the BUSIEST moms

Capitalchick

Post Fri, Nov 14 2008, 1:21 pm
Get out your rice maker. If you're a really busy mom...you must have one!

Toss in two cups of brown/white/basmati rice (your choice)
Dump in 1.5 cups of salsa
3-4 squirts of hot sauce
3 cups of water

Press start.

Delicious.

BlumaG

Post Thu, Dec 11 2008, 3:00 pm
this sounds good DH asked me to search for good rice recipes

ShakleeMom

Post Thu, Dec 11 2008, 4:30 pm
I'll try it in the microwave!

cookielady

Post Mon, Dec 15 2008, 9:14 pm
I tried this the other night. It was a total bomb. I could have been my rice cooker though.

Capitalchick

Post Mon, Dec 15 2008, 9:24 pm
cookielady wrote:
I tried this the other night. It was a total bomb. I could have been my rice cooker though.

Hmmm...my brother uses terms like "It was da bomb"....and that means that something was amazing!....But I get the sense that that's not what you're saying here!

I'm sorry to hear it didn't work out for you. What was the issue? Someone told me that they thought the rice tasted a little acidic (because of the tomatoes in the salsa). We tweaked the recipe and added a tiny bit of soup mix to add some salt to the recipe, and they said they much preferred it.

What problems did you have with this recipe?

ClaRivka

Post Mon, Dec 15 2008, 9:25 pm
I just made brown rice in the microwave and poured some tomato sauce on top.

cookielady

Post Mon, Dec 15 2008, 9:29 pm
Capitalchick wrote:
cookielady wrote:

Hmmm...my brother uses terms like "It was da bomb"....and that means that something was amazing!....But I get the sense that that's not what you're saying here!

I'm sorry to hear it didn't work out for you. What was the issue? Someone told me that they thought the rice tasted a little acidic (because of the tomatoes in the salsa). We tweaked the recipe and added a tiny bit of soup mix to add some salt to the recipe, and they said they much preferred it.

What problems did you have with this recipe?

no, it bombed as in went straight to trash. I used a brown basmati rice. The rice cooker went to warm and the rice was still very crunchy. I added more water and more salsa. I had to do that a few times. Finally, I gave up. The bottom burnt and it didn't taste great. I do really think it may have been my rice cooker. I would try it again on the stove top just to see how it should taste..

Capitalchick

Post Mon, Dec 15 2008, 9:42 pm
Well, keep in mind that this is not gourmet cooking! It's just a quick way to make a sort of spanish rice.

However...I will say that what you're describing doesn't sound right! I always use white basmati rice and it turns out great. I've actually had problems cooking brown rice in my rice cooker. It seems like it either stays hard, or the rice comes out WAY too soft and each grain of rice has exploded and become mushy. I can never seem to find that happy medium in between.
Anyway, try it again with some white basmati, or some long grain, and add a dash of soup mix for some saltiness (which is kind of needed). And don't forget a dash of hot sauce for some extra zip, if your family likes it.

Good luck!

ShakleeMom

Post Mon, Dec 15 2008, 11:39 pm
cookielady, sounds like you need predictability like the kind I get from the microwave. dump it all in for 18-22 minutes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes