Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Mixers
Previous  1  2

Meema2Kids

Post Mon, Nov 07 2005, 3:04 pm
I have a 4.5 qt kitchen aid. I can only make a very small batch of challah in it, and still it struggles with that. But I do like it for all my other baking - cakes, cookies, frostings. I leave it on my counter so I don't have to haul it out to use it.

buba123

Post Mon, Nov 07 2005, 6:01 pm
I have my MIL's old Bosch that I use. I love it, the cover is broken so I really do have to get a new one but it works so well. I bought the large Kitchen - Aid for Pesach which is OK but I like the Bosch better.
Idea for lifting heavy appliances - when I made my new kitchen a year ago, I installed garages near my baking area. It's great, I don't have to do any lifting - I just pull out my appliances and get to work Wink

shanie5

Post Mon, Nov 07 2005, 6:13 pm
I grew up w/ the kitchen aid and got one as a wedding gift. the five quart (that bowl goes up and down). I love it. for cakes, whipping egg whites, etc. for challh- I hate it. the dough always rises up the hook. so I bought a magic mill for challah, which I am very happy w/.
but I bought a kitchen aid for pesach when my first pesach mixer broke after 2 or 3 yrs. it was the best investment. I would do it again if I had to.

I also do challah in my bread machine- when I dont want to make a 5lb batch.

buba123

Post Mon, Nov 07 2005, 6:56 pm
shanie5
Quote:
I also do challah in my bread machine- when I dont want to make a 5lb batch.

I do that too! What recipe do you use? I use the recipe from the Kosher Pallete cookbook, but I'm not too happy with it..

shanie5

Post Mon, Nov 07 2005, 10:24 pm
this recipe is a mixture of one that came w/ the bread machine, from a book called bread machine magic, and my own changes. it's for a machine that makes 1 1/2 lb loaves.

put in machine in order:
2 eggs + enough water to = 1 1/3 cups
4 tblsp marg
2 tsp salt
6 tblsp sugar
2 cups bread flour
2 cups (regular) flour
3 tsp fleischmans instant yeast

thats it. if u try it, let me know how u like it

buba123

Post Tue, Nov 08 2005, 9:04 am
Thanx a lot!!!

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Nov 08 2005, 10:18 am
Am I the only one who kneads challah by hand? Once all the ingredients are in the bowl ( I use a giant -no brand- stainless steel bowl you can get in hardware stores) It doesn't take long at all, maybe 10 minutes. my kids like to help me with kneading, so I just check out the consistency after they finish, cover and let rise!

The same for yeast doughs, I don't usually lug out the Kitchen-Aid for them. ( My Kitchen-Aid jumps around with heavy dough's too).

Meema2Kids

Post Tue, Nov 08 2005, 10:56 am
If I make challah with more than 5 cups flour, I mix by hand.

Tefila

Post Tue, Nov 08 2005, 4:28 pm
Quote:

Am I the only one who kneads challah by hand? Once all the ingredients are in the bowl ( I use a giant -no brand- stainless steel bowl you can get in hardware stores) It doesn't take long at all, maybe 10 minutes. my kids like to help me with kneading, so I just check out the consistency after they finish, cover and let rise!

The same for yeast doughs, I don't usually lug out the Kitchen-Aid for them. ( My Kitchen-Aid jumps around with heavy dough's too).

No u r not Very Happy it's way easier and less hassle 4 me to do it by hand nonething like the good old fashion way Tongue Out

SMG

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 7:25 pm
I have the 6 qt Kitchenaid. I got it when I got married and after about 2 years the lever for the speeds broke. Kitchenaid sent me a brand new mixer within a week, even let me choose a new color, and they paid for my return shipping on the old one. I also have my grandmother's old Kitchenaid (about 35+ years old) and it works great too. I wouldn't trade in that kind of reliability for an extra loaf of challah.

mali

Post Wed, Dec 28 2005, 3:34 am
Does anyone have this problem with her Bosch? Mine likes to "dance" on the counter. It ended up in the sink twice while still working! Otherwise, it's fantastic for dough, and a little less convenient for beating egg whites, because of the way it's designed.

Tila

Post Mon, Jan 09 2006, 3:26 pm
KITCHENAID by far. Do not even think otherwise! Get the largest size, esp if you like to bake bread. Tongue Out
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen