Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Anyone own a homebased business?

stem

Post Thu, Jan 12 2006, 10:03 pm
I am starting a homebased business selling disposable kitchen items. The thing is, I have no idea how the "system" works regarding charging sales tax, who do I give that money to? how often?
Also, I am not sure if I should register as an official business. What would be the benefit of doing so, as apposed to just selling without it. Obviously, I am planning on reporting my income to the IRS either way.
Could anyone with experience shed some light on this new world of business? I'd love to PM someone who does.

Mommy912

Post Fri, Jan 13 2006, 8:47 am
The answers to these questions depend on where you live. In New York: you need to register your business officially (at the county clerks ofice) - you can start by doing a sole proprietorship - which means that you file taxes as part of your personal income tax return. The next step up is a LLC (limited liability company) where returns can be filed either with your personal return or as a business return. To collect sales tax you have to file for a certificate. Check out http://www.tax.state.ny.us/. I strongly suggest consulting with an accountant for these issues - you do not want to get in trouble with the IRS.
Good Luck - it is so exciting!

happyone

Post Fri, Jan 13 2006, 10:27 am
I have an accountant that has guided me in setting up my business and how to legalize it. He also runs the whole bookeeping aspect of it so I can concentrate my efforts on my business.
I also had to register at the county clerk, make sure my business name wasnt registered for another business already etc... not an expensive and lengthy process. they mailed me a tax ID number and certificate of business.
the rest the accnt handles, he tells me when and how much to send in for taxes etc..
hatzlocha on your new business.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics