Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
'Tssld' with a MS in Special Ed

amother

Post Thu, Jan 01 2009, 4:49 pm
I have a masters in special ed and heard about a certification called a tssld which allows you to work as a speech therapist as well. There was a previous certification called a tssch? which is no longer around. Does anyone have any information on how to obtain such a certification? Thanks

Pineapple

Post Thu, Jan 01 2009, 4:50 pm
Its a tshh - teacher of speech and hearing handicaaped ( I think)

AFAIK the board of ed does not allow the certification anymore

anon

Post Thu, Jan 01 2009, 4:54 pm
As far as I know, the TSSLD is a certification that speech therapists need in order to work in the school setting.

I can't imagine that it would allow you to work as a speech therapist...none of the requirements would train you in that at all.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 01 2009, 4:56 pm
Thanks for clarifying. I know that the tshh is no longer available. I recently heard about a new certification called a tssld (Teacher of Students with Speech and Language Disabilities) and wanted to find out about getting that.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 01 2009, 4:58 pm
Oh well! Thanks anyway.

Pineapple

Post Thu, Jan 01 2009, 4:58 pm
oh sorry

When you find out more info can you please pm (or email) me the info?

amother

Post Thu, Jan 01 2009, 5:31 pm
I'm not sure, but I think you can work with that in the BOE but maybe you haveto be going for speech as a masters. I honestly don't know how theyw ould allow it. I had my TSHH for a few years before my masters and I was offered jobs. I knew nothing then and wouldn't have felt comfortable giving therapy.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 03 2009, 12:42 pm
Im a speech therapist. Part of the requirements to work for the board of ed is to obtain a tssld. it used to be called a tssh. its for NYS BOE!

amother

Post Thu, Feb 19 2009, 6:45 pm
TSSHH and TSSLD is the same exact thing. The name was just changed, that's all. Also, it became more difficult as of '07 to obtain the lisence. I believe you can only get it along with a Masters in Speech. I don't think it is any longer possible to get it with only a BA, especially a BA in special ed. Sorry. It's really a stupid lisence. Initially it was meant to let pple work as speech therapists without a speech therapy masters . Now they make you have both, so it's really annoying that the NYS BOE makes you have both -isn't a masters enough Rolling Eyes ?

anon

Post Thu, Feb 19 2009, 6:50 pm
It's very stupid that speech therapists need it in addition to their masters. It gives me such a headache and provides me with nothing.

But thank G-d they were smart enough not to let ppl do speech therapy wtih only a TSSLD. It doesn't train you to do that work at all! And some ppl don't mind working incompetently.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 19 2009, 7:54 pm
I am an SLP with a TSSLD license. Once you have your masters in speech-you can apply for the TSSLD if you have: 12 education credits, and pass the LAST & ATS-W exams. This license is required if you want to service children through the NYS DOE!

rexie

Post Thu, Feb 19 2009, 8:07 pm
I just want to add to the above post that in order to get a TSSLD you also need to take a child abuse and school violence workshop. And yes I agree that the TSSLD is a pointless certificate. All that work we have to do to get our masters in speech and we need to do this extra work as well?!
Once upon a time, you could work without being a speech therapist as long as you had a TSSLD, but no more. Now to be a speech therapist, you need your masters.

anon

Post Thu, Feb 19 2009, 8:11 pm
rexie wrote:

Once upon a time, you could work without being a speech therapist as long as you had a TSSLD, but no more. Now to be a speech therapist, you need your masters.

You think it's a bad thing that a masters is required to work as a speech therapist?

Pineapple

Post Thu, Feb 19 2009, 8:17 pm
anon wrote:
rexie wrote:

You think it's a bad thing that a masters is required to work as a speech therapist?

B"H you need your masters

rexie

Post Fri, Feb 20 2009, 11:31 am
I think it's a GOOD thing that to work as a speech therapist we need a masters degree. I was answering the OP's question which was whether or not you can work with just the TSSLD. I said that you used to be able to work with just the certificate and no degree, but not anymore.
I also added my own comments about what I think of the TSSLD (that it's useless) and certain workshops you have to take in order to get it. But no where did I say I'm upset we need to get a masters degree. Not sure why you assumed that Confused

ShakleeMom

Post Fri, Feb 20 2009, 11:39 am
I would not hire a speech therapist without a special ed degree. At least for the reasons my child needs speech. Most of the speech issues begin in the brain such as auditory, cognitive, and pragmatics. It’s not all about an innocent lisp.

rexie

Post Fri, Feb 20 2009, 11:51 am
ShakleeMom, to work as a speech therapist today, you need an MA or MS in speech. A masters in special-ed would have been okay years ago, as long as one had the TSSLD, but the rules have changed.

anon

Post Sat, Feb 21 2009, 6:05 pm
rexie wrote:
I think it's a GOOD thing that to work as a speech therapist we need a masters degree. I was answering the OP's question which was whether or not you can work with just the TSSLD. I said that you used to be able to work with just the certificate and no degree, but not anymore.
I also added my own comments about what I think of the TSSLD (that it's useless) and certain workshops you have to take in order to get it. But no where did I say I'm upset we need to get a masters degree. Not sure why you assumed that Confused

Sorry, from the way you worded it, I thought you meant something like "gone are the good old days when you only needed a TSSH to work as a speech thearpist". I misunderstod.

anon

Post Sat, Feb 21 2009, 7:32 pm
ShakleeMom wrote:
I would not hire a speech therapist without a special ed degree. At least for the reasons my child needs speech. Most of the speech issues begin in the brain such as auditory, cognitive, and pragmatics. It’s not all about an innocent lisp.

Speech therapists generally do not have a special ed degree. The TSSLD that we're talking about is not a special ed degree. It's a good-for-nothing useless certificate that gives us lots of aggravation without having taught us a darn thing.

And I believe you hold a common misconception of speech therapists. Speech therapist do not go through a bachelors program, and then an intense 2 year masters program, so that they can learn how to treat a lisp. The degree of speech language pathology is a very comprehensive field which includes disorders in the following areas: articulation, language, voice, fluency, feeding & swallowing. The auditory, cognitive, and pragmatic difficulties that your child has fall within the "language" domain, an area where speech therapists are most certainly trained.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics