Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Need freezable potato recipes -- not kugel

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Jan 06 2009, 8:37 pm
Now that we are empty nesters, I always seem to have too many potatoes on hand and can't use them up before they go bad.

I have around 7-8 lbs. right now and will be away for the next 3 Shabbosim and 12 days over the next 3 weeks so I don't see using more than a few before they'll go bad.

Usually at this point I make some potato kugels and freeze them, but I'm already stocked up on them. I've also got potato soup in the freezer.

Can anyone suggest some ways to use the potatoes up that can be frozen?

Thanks.

anonymom

Post Tue, Jan 06 2009, 9:26 pm
Shlishklach freeze great and are delicious. You peel, boil and mash the potatoes. Make a dough by adding flour, and I don't remember what else. Maybe an egg, a little oil, salt and pepper. It is a thick dough. You roll it into thin ropes and then cut into bite sized pieces. Boil in a huge pot till they float. Coat with fried bread crumbs. Yum!

If you need an exact recipe I can try to look for it.

Mitzvahmom

Post Tue, Jan 06 2009, 9:33 pm
and it's freezable?? I would like the recipe

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Jan 06 2009, 10:17 pm
anonymom wrote:
Shlishklach freeze great and are delicious.

Interesting idea. While I've head of shlishklach and seen recipes for them I've never made them. I might try it -- it's a little heavy on the patchka side for my taste though.

From what I've seen of the recipes I wouldn't think they'd freeze real well -- does anyone here freeze them?

Thanks.

ShakleeMom

Post Tue, Jan 06 2009, 10:21 pm
They freeze fantastic. Thaw all day on the counter, and bake in oven to make the breadcrumbs crispy. It’s really like gnocchi but with breadcrumbs that are spicy and sweet.

I would make potato knishes and freeze them raw. You can never have enough of those!

sunshine!

Post Tue, Jan 06 2009, 10:27 pm
I wouldn't bread shlishkes if I was freezing them. I would freeze them uncoated and defrost them. I use bread crumbs, salt, sugar and spice for the breading, toast it in a frying pan and coat it when I am ready to serve them. ShakleeMom, knishes are a good idea. I very often use a package of flaky dough and make mini knishes, which I freeze raw. I pull them out for a quick lunch, fast side dish, or for Shabbos (I even egg and sesame seed them before I freeze them...)

anonymom

Post Tue, Jan 06 2009, 10:33 pm
They do freeze great. Just heat them up well. And true it's a patchka. It's the perfect thing to put in the freezer now for Purim.

Here's my recipe:

4 large potatoes, cooked and drained, or 2 cups instant potato flakes mixed with 2cups boiling water
3-4 cups flour
1 egg
1 TBSP oil
salt

make a thick, rollable dough. Roll it into ropes about 1/2 inch wide. If sticky, coat with flour, or add a little to the dough. Cut ropes into nuggets, about 1 inch long. Boil about 10 min, plus 5 more min. after they float to the top. Remove with slotted spoon.

Fry 1 cup of bread crumbs in about 1 TBSP oil, until toasted. Toss over shlishklach. Enjoy!

They freeze great even with the breadcrumbs on them. In fact, it probably prevents them from sticking.

sunshine!

Post Tue, Jan 06 2009, 11:08 pm
You can also peel and cube potatoes and freeze them raw, pulling them out to bake with salt, pepper, garlic paprika and oil on a cookie sheet. For fries, cut 2 lbs. of potatoes into medium french fry shapes. Cook in simmering, salted water until half cooked. Drain thoroughly and place in a single layer on a sheet pan. Freeze until solid, then transfer to bags. When you're ready to cook, toss potatoes with 2 tbsp. of oil, place in a single layer on a sheet pan and bake at 425 degrees until nicely browned (about 15 to 20 minutes). Keep an eye on them, turning occasionally. Salt immediately when done, then serve.

yOungM0mmy

Post Wed, Jan 07 2009, 7:10 am
shepherds pie freezes well.

pinktichel

Post Wed, Jan 07 2009, 7:56 am
anonymom, the recipe sounds delicious! Any ideas of a main dish to go with it?

sky

Post Wed, Jan 07 2009, 8:40 am
Potato knishes
Doughless Potato Knish - its like a knish filling but without the dough that you serve in squares or balls. It freezes nicely. I know the recipe has been posted twice.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 07 2009, 8:45 am
Sunshine, thanks for your tip!
I always wanted to freeze my potatoes ahead of time, but I never thought there was a method, and figured it would be gross.
Can I do the same with sweet potato fries?

sunshine!

Post Wed, Jan 07 2009, 9:13 am
Yes you can do the same with sweet potatoes!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 07 2009, 9:14 am
Awesome!

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Jan 07 2009, 10:11 am
Thanks everyone.

I am considering trying the shlishkas and like the idea of the potato knishes. I'm going to search for the recipes here for the doughless ones.

anonymom

Post Wed, Jan 07 2009, 5:31 pm
pinktichel wrote:
anonymom, the recipe sounds delicious! Any ideas of a main dish to go with it?

Thanks. I cant think of anything particular that it goes with especially, but it's just a side dish like rice or pasta that can go with anything. A roast, chicken, etc. I guess you would not want to serve it with anything breaded because it would be redundant.

pinktichel

Post Wed, Jan 07 2009, 5:34 pm
Made it for dinner tonight with Tuna Croquettes and salad. They were quite good, but I definitely did not put enough salt in the mixture (I thought I put loads in!)

I'm going to freeze the leftovers and try it with a creamy mushroom sauce next time.

Thanks again!

grin

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 9:05 am
I've frozen mashed potatoes - good after defrosting to add to cooked dishes - another kugel or soup some time!

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Jan 09 2009, 12:33 pm
I dealt with the aging leftover potatoes this morning.

I made the Doughless Potato Knish recipe (in a pan, not individual knishes) from another thread here -- it called for 6lb. potatoes and that was exactly how much I had.

I think my family will like it. I am freezing it an assorted sized pans to have available in varied quantities to use as needed.

Thanks everyone for your help.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes