Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
ISO Rear Facing Car Seat (not infant seat)

Twizzlers

Post Sun, Jan 11 2009, 10:56 pm
Looking to borrow a rear facing car seat for 3 months for my 9 month old who is too big for his infant seat, but needs to be rear facing until 1 year old. If you have one to lend, please pm me. (I'm in brooklyn)
Thank you!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jan 12 2009, 12:15 pm
Can I ask a silly question? What's the harm in getting a convertible car seat now which will change from RF -> FF when he's good and ready and then you can keep it? IY"H you'll have future kids to pass it down to anyway, so I don't think of it as a waste, and then you won't have to get a new car seat in a few months either for your older son or this one...

Inspired

Post Mon, Jan 12 2009, 12:33 pm
He must be 1 year AND 20 lbs. as the bare minimum to forward face.
The AAP recommends keeping them rfing to the limits of the seat. It is much safer to have him rear facing longer.
And please reconsider using a borrowed seat at all, which you cannot be sure of the history of and may be expired or recalled.

Please do some more research on this subject.

You are in brooklyn, where you can get a new cosco scennera for 40$.

Twizzlers

Post Mon, Jan 12 2009, 1:48 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Can I ask a silly question? What's the harm in getting a convertible car seat now which will change from RF -> FF when he's good and ready and then you can keep it? IY"H you'll have future kids to pass it down to anyway, so I don't think of it as a waste, and then you won't have to get a new car seat in a few months either for your older son or this one...

its just that the car seat my 2 year old is in now is getting a bit small for him as well, so I'm going to need something bigger for him in the near future. so I dont really have any use for a convertible, because once he can sit forward facing, I'll have one already for him. (I really should have done more research on how big the kid can be to sit on it, but my kids are big and they just dont fit!)

Inspired - he is 25 lbs right now! (which is why he doesnt fit lol)
right now, he cries in pain when I have to buckle him in. and I do need to go out to get my older one from school. so I need a solution now.

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Jan 12 2009, 1:51 pm
So why not get a birth to 4 years seat for your 2 year old and move the 9 month old into the seat you have?

Twizzlers

Post Mon, Jan 12 2009, 1:52 pm
YESHASettler wrote:
So why not get a birth to 4 years seat for your 2 year old and move the 9 month old into the seat you have?

because the seat that I have is forward facing only!

Marion

Post Mon, Jan 12 2009, 1:54 pm
So get a birth to 4 year seat, use it temporarily for your rear-facing DS#2, then swap them when your DS#1 outgrows his current seat and DS#2 is big enough to go front facing.

ETA: We just bought the above mentioned Cosco seat. The manual says it goes to 40lbs. My almost 3 year old would still fit in that.

Last edited by Marion on Mon, Jan 12 2009, 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Atali

Post Mon, Jan 12 2009, 1:55 pm
Twizzlers wrote:
YESHASettler wrote:

because the seat that I have is forward facing only!

So how about this, get a big rear-facing convertable that goes until 65 pounds (like the Britax marathon). Use it for your baby now, then when your baby gets bigger move him into your two-year-old's seat and put you older boy in the new seat.

Twizzlers

Post Mon, Jan 12 2009, 2:31 pm
Marion wrote:

ETA: We just bought the above mentioned Cosco seat. The manual says it goes to 40lbs. My almost 3 year old would still fit in that.

my 2 year old is 30 lbs and since he is my oldest, I have no way of anticipating how fast he will grow. I wouldnt want to buy something that he will be out of in a few months.

k, so I'm looking into the britax marathon (thanks to all who suggested it), does anyone know how this car seat rates on consumer reports?

Inspired

Post Mon, Jan 12 2009, 2:35 pm
if you want to go a bit cheaper I vote for the evenflo triumph advance and a booster with harness that converts to a belt positioner like a graco nautilus for the older kid. If the fit your car and your kid.

myfriends715

Post Tue, Jan 13 2009, 10:18 am
britax marathon is convertible and has very high weight restrictions.. it is pricy though
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics