Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Mashal about Lashon Hara - where does it come from?

amother

Post Thu, Jan 22 2009, 12:57 pm
From where does the mashal about Lashon Horo and shaking out feathers from a pillow on a rooftop originate?

I ask because I know it's from a Jewish source, but thought it was funny that it was told in a new movie ("Doubt" with Meryl Streep and Philip Seymour Hoffman) where the priest tells that parable to his congregation after a nun accuses him of molesting a child. Good movie for those of you who are movie-watchers: You don't have to worry about tznius issues as the movie is about kids, priests and nuns! (So it's good for you and DH, but the content is still mature, about molestation) The end isn't so great though IMHO.

Why am I amother? Because it ain't no one's business that we watch movies!

StrongIma

Post Thu, Jan 22 2009, 1:00 pm
I bet the screenwriter’s Jewish LOL

Ilovechoumous

Post Thu, Jan 22 2009, 1:23 pm
im not sure, but its the story that madonna uses in her book, mr. peabody's apple. I cant find the book now but online it says that its based on a 17th century Ukrainian fable.

sunshine!

Post Thu, Jan 22 2009, 1:25 pm
The only reference I can find about the story is the book Yettele's Feathers. This marvelous retelling of story which illustrates the harm and irreversibility of rumor-mongering is must reading. Joan Rothenberg tells the story of Yettele, who sees no harm in her tales about other people, and whose rabbi teachers her about lashon hara.

It seems she bases her book on a folk tale.

bluesclues

Post Thu, Jan 22 2009, 1:27 pm
according to maddonas book ( I know its not a very good source) its a story about the bal shem tov
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics