Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Is the Pursuit of Pleasure Encouraged by Torah?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7

imale

Post Fri, Jan 20 2006, 5:26 am
OK I'll make that more personal, I am not on the level of eating without enjoying it, or refraining from "other" stuff that add spice to a married couple, but then again I'm not ruling out anyone who is, who knows maybe one day Motek, we'll meet somewhere high up on the spiritual ladder Wink

ezmush

Post Sat, Jan 21 2006, 9:39 am
1stimer wrote:
Quote:
A chumra is where you have researched and delved into a particular machlokes deeply and have decided that the machmir opinion is correct. (as heard from rabbi berkowitz)

Shavua Tov!
I think we are talking about a different definition of chumrot. When a rav gives me a psika, he can decide which opinion to go by, and as far as I'm concerned, what he decides is the halacha - machmir or not.
I am talking of chumrot that are definately beyond the halacha - such as kitniyot (rice/beans etc.) on pesach. No rabbi will say that the Torah forbids these, but there were certain reasons that rabbis forbade them during the years. Kashrut is full of chumrot.
I think it's important to differentiate between real isurim and between chumrot - or giving up permissible pleasure for that matter - as people sometimes tend to trangress real Torah isurim in order to observe chumrot.

TzenaRena

Post Sat, Jan 21 2006, 5:26 pm
ezmush, transgressing the issurim or gezeiros of the Rabbis goes into the category of "Chamurim Divrei Sofrim miDivrei Torah". The enactments of our Sages are a more stringent obligation than the mitzvos of Torah. Someone who transgresses on an issur kal shel divrei sofrim is called a Rasha Gamur. (see Tanya Ch. 1)

The chumras that are being discussed in this thread are discretionary, in the realm of the permissible, Divrei Ha'RSHUS, of which there is an obligation to make ourselves more holy in THAT realm.

Last edited by TzenaRena on Sun, Jan 22 2006, 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Motek

Post Sun, Jan 22 2006, 2:18 pm
imale wrote:
OK I'll make that more personal, I am not on the level of eating without enjoying it, or refraining from "other" stuff that add spice to a married couple, but then again I'm not ruling out anyone who is, who knows maybe one day Motek, we'll meet somewhere high up on the spiritual ladder Wink

bububu but Confused never mind Tanya?

Quote:
but what's cognitive dissonance?

Quote:
A condition of conflict or anxiety resulting from inconsistency between one's beliefs and one's actions

Tefila

Post Sun, Jan 22 2006, 3:54 pm
Quote:
see SaraYehudis, I was right.........

4 a change Very Happy
Page 7 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 Recent Topics