Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Should I buy a computer from a Frum guy or from Dell?

cheerios

Post Wed, May 07 2008, 11:03 pm
I'm on the market for a new computer and am debating where to buy one. I bought my last one from a frum computer guy who sold it to me ready with Hebrew Microsoft Word, etc.
Otoh, I can get one from Dell (I saw some good deals) but then I'd either have to set it up myself or get someone to do it for me.
The frum guy gave me a warranty for a year, and I think Dell also has some kind of support. What do you think I should do?

Imaonwheels

Post Thu, May 08 2008, 1:16 am
If you are not so computer savvy and the frum guy was alright for you last time, go with him.

shopaholic

Post Thu, May 08 2008, 10:11 am
I would go with Dell.

Beauty and the Beast

Post Thu, May 08 2008, 10:30 am
I just got a new dell. was cheaper than getting it from someone else.

pinktichel

Post Thu, May 08 2008, 12:11 pm
Dell. They have online help, 24/7 and send reps to your house to fix everything (assuming you have a warranty).

My brother just got a laptop and has been having big problems with it. They're giving him a hard time because he didn't buy it directly from the company.

raizyBP

Post Tue, Feb 03 2009, 2:39 am
I agree with Imaonwheels even if dell is cheaper, because if you are not an expert then it will be a big headaches to install heavy software, so it’s worth the couple extra dollars to get a full job

I hope this is helpful

Marion

Post Tue, Feb 03 2009, 3:33 am
Installing software is rarely more difficult than inserting a CD and selecting "run".

When my sister was 13 she got her first computer. (I'm not looking for a debate on whether that was a good idea or not.) It arrived, for some unknown reason, missing the CD/DVD drive. She called Dell, they shipped it out express. When it arrived they spent over an hour with her on the phone and walked her through the process of assembling and installing the drive, the driver, and having her test it to make sure it worked.

I'd go with Dell.

ETA: I don't know what you mean by "Hebrew Microsoft Word". Word comes with language packs. All you ever have to do to install Hebrew is to install the correct language pack.

Aidelmom

Post Tue, Feb 03 2009, 3:36 am
Just want to point out the mitzva of supporting a yid. So if it doesn't make too much of a difference maybe go w/ the frum guy -

Imaonwheels

Post Tue, Feb 03 2009, 3:45 am
Word can write in almost all, if not all, languages in the world. The only question is in what language do you want menus to appear in? They ask you when installing.

jross214

Post Wed, Feb 04 2009, 3:19 pm
In my experience, go with a company that can back up their product and offer servicing. Dell is phenomenal in this area

PIP

Post Wed, Feb 04 2009, 3:35 pm
Aidelmom wrote:
Just want to point out the mitzva of supporting a yid. So if it doesn't make too much of a difference maybe go w/ the frum guy -

I agree w\ Aidelmom.

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Wed, Feb 04 2009, 4:10 pm
Why not get the computer from dell, then hire the frum guy to install all the additional software, then its the best of both worlds

roza

Post Wed, Feb 04 2009, 4:48 pm
buy from Dell, u can customize it so you don't have to do anything, just plug it in.

RightOnTarget

Post Wed, Feb 04 2009, 4:56 pm
Just mentioning my experience. May help you decide.

I ordered my laptop directly from dell - came all ready with programs I needed. No big deal to set up - they send very clear instructions.

They have an online site you can chat 24/7. Anytime I had issues they connected directly to my laptop and fixed the problem for me while I watched.

My ds spilled water on my keyboard so some letters didnt work. They sent a technician down no questions asked - was covered under warranty - and took 5 minutes he replaced to brand new keyboard.

Good Luck!

ShakleeMom

Post Wed, Feb 04 2009, 8:00 pm
pinktichel wrote:
Dell. They have online help, 24/7 and send reps to your house to fix everything (assuming you have a warranty).

And - you can finance with them!

Lovemylife

Post Wed, Feb 04 2009, 8:06 pm
They have coupons and great deals...got my whole computer pretty cheap.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics