Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Challah dough rising in the fridge

Toot

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 9:31 pm
How does challah dough rising in the fridge work? How long can/should it be there?

Basically, if I want to take out the dough, shape the loaves and bake on Friday afternoon, how early can I make the dough and leave it in the fridge? Can I make it Thursday night? Early Friday morning (before work)? Does the recipe matter?

Thanks!

mama-star

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 9:57 pm
me personally, I have never had success with dough rising in the fridge. Sad

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 10:03 pm
I do it all the time. Just follow a normal recipe. Make sure to proof yeast for freshness. The dough will rise a bit slower in the fridge. I would make it on Friday morning.

Cdlf

Post Thu, Feb 12 2009, 1:57 pm
Do this all the time. Make thurs. night, put in fridge. Let come to room temp. before shaping loaves, about 2 hours. Dough does get a little wet so put a little less water.

Ima'la

Post Thu, Feb 12 2009, 2:19 pm
I also do it all the time. I make it the dough and take it out of the fridge the next day a while before I'm ready to shape it so that it can warm up. If you need it to warm up faster, preheat your oven to the lowest setting (170-200F), TURN IT OFF, and put the dough in for a while. (I do this with my plastic bowl - doesn't melt.) You can also use this trick if for some reason the dough doesn't rise enough in the fridge, which has happened to me, maybe, once or twice - and I've done it a million times.

shoy18

Post Thu, Feb 12 2009, 2:28 pm
I do it every week, I make the dough thurs night and it goes straight in the fridge, in the morning I take it out, let it warm up, then rise, then I shape it. works everytime

justmom

Post Thu, Feb 12 2009, 2:42 pm
Growing up, I remember my mother doing it all the time and the challah was delicious. I have tried it twice, both times with no success-- challah tastes grainy, heavy, yuukkky

mama-star

Post Thu, Feb 12 2009, 6:54 pm
huh - maybe that's why I didn't have success? I never let it warm up! how long do you let it warm up for?

shoy18

Post Thu, Feb 12 2009, 7:03 pm
mama-star wrote:
huh - maybe that's why I didn't have success? I never let it warm up! how long do you let it warm up for?

usually about 1.5 hours, then you need to let it rise.

Levtov

Post Thu, Feb 12 2009, 7:39 pm
Why not make it any time you have some time, bake completely and freeze. Then rewarm half an hour right before shabbos in 350 oven. This is delicious and crispy!!!!

mummy-bh

Post Thu, Feb 12 2009, 7:55 pm
shoy18 wrote:
mama-star wrote:

This is why I don't bother any more.
I tried to make the dough on Thurs night, to save time on Fri morning, but it ended up taking MORE time to warm up than it would do to make and rise from scratch.

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Thu, Feb 12 2009, 8:00 pm
mummy-bh wrote:
shoy18 wrote:
mama-star wrote:

This is why I don't bother any more.
I tried to make the dough on Thurs night, to save time on Fri morning, but it ended up taking MORE time to warm up than it would do to make and rise from scratch.

what I do is I warm up the oven first thing in the morning turn it off, put the dough in and a short while later when I've finished with my usual morning routine it's warmed up just fine.

Cdlf

Post Thu, Feb 12 2009, 9:11 pm
I JUST TAKE IT OUT WHEN I WAKE UP, AROUND 7:30, PUT IT ASIDE, get the kids off to school and by that time it's 2 hours and it's ready to braid. then I let it rise another hour and bake. yum!

Ima'la

Post Fri, Feb 13 2009, 12:45 am
voilla wrote:
Why not make it any time you have some time, bake completely and freeze. Then rewarm half an hour right before shabbos in 350 oven. This is delicious and crispy!!!!

I do both! I usually make challah towards the beginning of the week when I'm not busy making a million other things for Shabbos - and freeze - but if I don't have time to do it all in one day (like if I first have time available to put up the dough in the evening), I let it rise in the fridge overnight.

cubbie

Post Fri, Feb 13 2009, 12:50 am
I do it all the time, I make the dough on thursday night take it out the fridge first thing Friday morning and braid it once dd has gone to gan (about an hour later) rise for 1-2 hours and bake and it's delicious.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads