Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Toronto/Hamilton
Previous  1  2

JRKmommy

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 2:26 pm
My BIL commuted from Toronto to Hamilton for his residency, so it can be done. However, living nearby is generally much easier for med students, who don't get much sleep as it is.

Hamilton's Jewish community is much smaller, but warm.

If you are looking to rent while he goes to school, Hamilton is MUCH less expensive.

If he goes to med school in Toronto, you can even consider living downtown if you don't have kids, or if your kids are very young. We loved the Anshei Minsk shul in Kensington Market, and met other young couples there.

Sobey's is good for kosher shopping in Thornhill, but No Frills on Centre St. has almost as much kosher selection (except for lacking an in-store bakery and butcher) and is far cheaper. I do all my shopping there, and hardly go into Sobey's.

Emee

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 2:59 pm
Maybe I shouldn't say this but I wish someoen had tiold me before I moved here... Toronto is not a very friendly or warm city. You have to work hard to meet people and to make friends. agian it depends what you are used to and where you are coming from but I personally find NY to be much friendlier!

JRKmommy

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 11:42 pm
Smaller communities can be friendlier. When we briefly thought about moving to Hamilton, I made 1 phone call there and got a call back from the rabbi, giving me all the info I could possibly want.

moomoo

Post Thu, Feb 12 2009, 11:38 am
This was very helpful. I forgot to ask the ever elusive question of if the moms cover their hair, wear pants etc. I am modern, but I cover my hair, and dress modestly!! I have another post on this question! Thanx!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating