Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Tummy sleeping..?

amother

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 8:40 am
my baby is 5 mnths.
I put him down on his back and then he rolls to his tummy to have a nap.
would you roll him back or not worry?

ss321

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 8:49 am
amother wrote:
my baby is 5 mnths.
I put him down on his back and then he rolls to his tummy to have a nap.
would you roll him back or not worry?

depends. if its at night when youre gonna be sleeping, I would (but I dont think this is a rule. just my own neuroticism). If its a nap and you are going to be close by, or can put a monitor in his room and carry the speaker with you downstairs, then I would just let it go, if that is how he is comfortable.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 10:40 am
If he is rolling over himself, it's fine.

drumjj

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 12:04 pm
as soon as mine could roll over they always slept on their tummy. u cant spend the whole night rolling them back over and its definately a more comfortable position for them to sleep

amother

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 12:19 pm
If he rolls over, I would leave him for sure. my baby doesnt roll over back to stomach yet, but sleeps much better on tummy and I put him on tummy to sleep. dr said its fine, just dont hold him responsible. me and dh slept on stomachs as babies and were fine. usually its fine. its in the odd case chas vshalom mybe a factor in sids. posting anon because I know I wil get jumped on for this

LuckyMum

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 9:16 am
I put my babies to sleep on their tummies too... as soon as I see that they can hold their head up steady on their own - usually about a month.
What can I do, they dont sleep any other way.

freidasima

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 9:29 am
My kids all slept on their tummies from day one, that's what they did 30 years ago, and now my grandson sleeps on his tummy no matter what the doctors say. His father is a doctor, he checked his neck tonus to see if it was strong enough to move his head in case of spit-up, and the minute it was, at around two weeks, tummy it was.

When a baby can turn over it is certainly no problem.

RightOnTarget

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 9:35 am
The only way my baby is comfortable and quiet is on his tummy, so thats how he's been sleeping every night and nap time. Trust me I try to put him on his back every time but it ain't working too well.

BTW, my older one always slept on his back and hated tummy time. Therefore, he never learnt to crawl on his hands and feet only on his behind once he was sitting.

Boys"R"Us

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 2:11 pm
Mine all slept/sleep on their tummies too.
(Should we start "tummy sleepers anonymous"?! LOL

But that aside, certainly when they roll over themselves, there is no longer an issue!

~Debbie

amother

Post Thu, Feb 12 2009, 2:21 pm
I thought it is danjerous to put babies in their tummies??

shoy18

Post Thu, Feb 12 2009, 2:27 pm
One of my kids scream bloody murder on her back, for two weeks she just cried and cried and out of sheer desperation and sleep deprivation I just put her on her stomach one 2am crying fest, and she slept for 4 hours straight.

Since she was born she always had good head control and could pick it up right from the start. We got a lot of slack for tummy sleeping but it was either that or a screaming kid. We also bought a heart monitor/sound monitor, it has a lot of false alarms but definitely made us rest easier.

zaq

Post Thu, Feb 12 2009, 2:51 pm
amother wrote:
I thought it is danjerous to put babies in their tummies??

only unattended and only while they can't pick up their heads, and I myself am not so sure about that, either. The fear is that if the kid throws up in his sleep, face down in a pool of vomit, he'll inhale the vomit and choke. seems to me if throws up while on his back, he's even more likely to choke on the vomit in his mouth the minute he opens up his throat to cry. The pendulum on this one swings back and forth about every 25 years.

once the baby's neck is strong enough to pick his head up, it's no problem. This is assuming you don't do anything stupid like put plastic bags or shearling pads on top of the sheets.

even before the baby can pick his head up, while he's awake and you're watching, it's not only ok but important for him to spend some time on his stomach. overly zealous "on your back" moms who are afraid to put the baby on his stomach at all discover that the baby's head gets flattened at the back. there are actually PT-type devices to reshape the kid's head after this happens, but prevention is easier. Aside from the slim but theoretically possible chance of choking after vomiting, there's nothing remotely dangerous about a baby being on his stomach, and none whatsoever if he's being watched.

Strudel

Post Thu, Feb 12 2009, 3:07 pm
They don't just inhale vomit on their tummies, but the CO2 they exhale. This rebreathing is thought to be the cause of SIDS.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Feb 12 2009, 3:12 pm
I still don't get that, because if you have ever seen a baby put on his stomach, a healthy one will turn his head to the side within a few seconds. Not buried in the same little pocket of air they exhaled.

Stayci

Post Thu, Feb 12 2009, 4:34 pm
My daughter sleeps less than an hour at a time if I leave her on her back. When she tummy sleeps, she can give me 3-4 hour stretches. Also, if she is on her back and she spits up, or if she is congested , she is in danger of choking, is that not so?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics