Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
What are the best type of baking pans?

familyfirst

Post Sun, Feb 08 2009, 1:30 am
Hi!
In an effort to become more "healthy", I'm trying to wean myself off of disposable baking pans (chemicals in them, etc.) I started baking my chicken in Pyrex glass dishes. The chicken is OK, but honestly, it comes out different.

Has anyone baked cake in glass dishes? Did it taste different than when baked in metal pans?

Also, if you recommend metal pans, which company would you use? Some of them are awful and burn the cakes. Someone told me to steer clear of dark metal. Is this true?

Thanks.

Tamiri

Post Sun, Feb 08 2009, 4:17 am
I rarely, if ever use disposable so it's hard for me to relate to what you are writing. If anything, I would imagine food comes out inferior due to the thin aluminum sides and floor of the pans. I think you just have to adjust your baking times a bit to accomodate "real" pans. I use pyrex and metal. Pyrex, I cut the cake baking time a bit.
If you have the money, invest in good pans such as nordic-ware which conducts heat well.

Marion

Post Sun, Feb 08 2009, 4:18 am
I've baked in Pyrex before, but usually I use metal (aluminum, not tin foil). Mine are all Wilton pans (it's one of the things I'm a bit spoiled by).

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, Feb 08 2009, 6:36 am
I use metal and I just got myself a silicon muffin tray.

I use baking parchment to line the metal (and even the disposable) pans for easier cleaning and serving.

Blair

Post Sun, Feb 08 2009, 7:27 am
Personally I prefer the silicon ones. Things come out of them so easy and no need to grease and flour. They come in every shape you could ever want.

Marion

Post Sun, Feb 08 2009, 7:29 am
Don't get me wrong, I like my silicone. But silicone does not come in all shapes & sizes (although the variety is there), and silicone is flimsy; it needs to be put into and taken out of the oven on a cookie sheet.

Blair

Post Sun, Feb 08 2009, 11:39 pm
It depends on the quality of the silicon. If you buy better ones they really holdup. It is best to place them on a cookie sheet t does make removing from the hot oven easier. As far as shapes and sizes I have seen every possible size and shape. Everything is coming in silicon these days. Are you in Israel if so PM me and I will tell you where to get them.

workingmom3

Post Thu, Feb 19 2009, 2:21 pm
I have nordicware cake pans and love them!! I make chicken and meat in ceramic and sometimes glass. I almost never use disposable- for health reasons as well as quality of the food.
It also looks much more appetizing in real baking dishes - maybe that's why I am not losing weight;)

daisy

Post Thu, Feb 19 2009, 2:36 pm
I always bake in glass pyrex. Never had a problem.

shopaholic

Post Thu, Feb 19 2009, 6:19 pm
I have no answer - I use disposables but I clicked on this because I was curious what the title had to do with Manners & Etiquette

Raisin

Post Thu, Feb 19 2009, 6:25 pm
I use pyrex or large metal roasting dishes lined with foil or parchment. I don't always line the pyrex because the dishwasher does a great job of cleaning it. I wish my pyrex came in larger sizes. or smaller so I could fit 2 on a rack. one of my kugel recipes specifically asks for pyrex. never noticed any difference in taste.

I have some round metal cake tins which are milchig whiich I use to make birthday cakes or cheese cakes in.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette