Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Recipe for kreplach?

beautiful blessings

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 10:36 pm
I've never made them, and would like to try this year. Can I use already cooked chicken, such as from the soup, ground with sauteed onions? Does anyone have such a recipe that is really good? I'd appreciate it!

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 11:09 pm
Dough: (or just use wonton wrappers - such an easy and delicious option)
2 large eggs
1/4 tsp salt
1.5 - 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
Filling:
onion
ground meat, chicken, or veal (veal is yum)
Saute onions, add ground meat and brown. Season to taste with salt, garlic, cumin, black pepper, or whatever you like.
In a medium bowl, beat the eggs until frothy. Add the salt. Gradually work in the flour to form a stiff dough. Knead for about 5 minutes until soft and elastic. Can also be done in a mixer with a dough hook. Roll the dough out on a floured surface until very thin. Cut into 3-inch squares.
Place a teaspoon of filling in the center of each square. Dip a finger in water and run it around the edges of the square. Take a corner of the square and fold it diagonally over the filling to form a triangle. Seal the edges by pressing firmly togerther with fingers or the tines of a fork. Let dry for at least 1 hour. Drop the kreplach into boiling salted water and cook for 15 minutes. Drain well and serve in soup.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 11:12 pm
Oh, and yes, you can use ground chicken from soup with sauteed onions.

beautiful blessings

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 11:49 pm
Thank you, ra_mom for the detailed instructions! I really appreciate it! Very Happy

ra_mom

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 2:24 pm
beautiful blessings, I just found out that you do not have to cook or brown the meat before placing the filling in the dough.
Also, that if you are using wonton wrappers, you only have to cook the kreplach in salted boiling water for 10 minutes, not 15. You also will not have to let the kreplach dry for an hour if you are using wontons.
For an exact recipe for a really nice chicken filling:
2 tsp olive oil, divided
3/4 inch fresh ginger, peeled and minced
6- shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, finely chopped
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp dry sherry
3 scallios finely minced
1/4-1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4-1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp roasted or toasted sesame oil
1 large egg white
1/2 lb. ground chicken
Place 1 tsp of the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add ginger. Sautee 1 minute. Add mushrooms and the other tsp of oil. Cook for 2 minutes. Add the soy sauce and sherry. Let the liquid cook out. Add the scallions and saute 1 minute longer. Remove from heat. Add the salt and pepper to taste. Allow mixture to cool- refrigerate if necessary.
Add 1 tsp sesame oil and the egg white to the mushroom mixture. Fold in the ground chicken. Mix to combine.

Or just use your favorite burger recipe to season your meat filling

boruchhashem

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 2:57 pm
My mil fries onion, adds chicken liver, and a small piece of chicken cutlet. Blend using a handblender, and it is yummy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus