Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Would you write for major secular magazines?

spinkles

Post Wed, Aug 06 2008, 6:59 pm
I don't know where to post this; Chit Chat doesn't seem quite right. But my question is this:

I'm a freelance writer. I write articles for both Jewish and non-Jewish magazines. Right now I'm working on a story about a frum organization that does something amazing. The (non-Jewish) people in a writing class I'm taking love the story and are encouraging me to pitch the article to places like the New York Times Sunday mag, The New Yorker, The Atlantic, and New York Magazine.

I have to speak this over with my Rav, obviously. But I'm curious what you guys think. Would you write about a frum organization and publish it in one of these big secular pubs?

The piece would be a kiddush Hashem, and secular Jews who are pretty anti-frumkeit would read something positive for once.

But those pubs often print such warped articles about Yiddishkeit that I feel distaste when I even hear their names.

So I'm torn.

I remember reading a beautiful interview in the Mishpacha, with an Israeli journalist who became a baal teshuvah. He told about going to speak with Rav Shach ztz"l. At the time, the journalist was working for a major secular Israeli newspaper, as well as working for the Israeli Yated at night. He asked if he should stop writing for the secular paper, so that he would be able to learn in kollel. Rav Shach answered, "And if you don't write for them, who will?" The journalist answered that there were hundreds of people who would be eager to take over his job. Rav Shach shook his head and answered, "No--better that *you* should write for them." And then Rav Shach said, "And I give you a bracha: use this koach of yours to go save Klal Yisroel."

That journalist continued to write for the secular papers, and some of the things he wrote inspired people to return to their heritage.

When I write for non-frum Jewish pubs, I have this story in mind. I use the opportunity to write about Torah and mitzvos with love and respect, and try to counteract some of the negative articles readers might see in that same publication.

I don't know if writing for a secular pub is the same as writing for a non-frum Jewish pub, though.

But it might reach Jews who are so secular that they don't even read the mainstream Jewish pubs.

What would you do if you were me?

Alef Bais

Post Wed, Aug 06 2008, 7:06 pm
As you said, it's a Kiddush Hashem and a positive story for a change Smile As long as the secular publication will not alter your story, I think you should definitely do it!

By the way, I'm curious about the writing class you mentioned you were taking. Care to share where? (You can PM me.)

cassandra

Post Wed, Aug 06 2008, 7:07 pm
I read two of those you mentioned every week and I really don't find that they are negative against Orthodoxy across the board. Some things are skewed and some aren't, some are positive and some are negative. (But we do have negative in our world, you know.)

I don't know why you would hesitate to publish, I don't see what harm it could do. There seem to be many benefits (for the organization, for the Jewish community, for you personally) and not that much risk. Are you worried that having your article in there would mean you condone everything it publishes? I've never read any publication where I've agreed with everything, so I think that logic is flawed.

I also hope your article does get published, but it's not a done deal, right? Why not pitch it and then see if it's even accepted? You can always back out, right?

spinkles

Post Thu, Aug 07 2008, 11:15 am
Alef Bais, the class is an online class offered to members of a writers' association I belong to. It's for professional freelancers who want to improve their pitching skills. It's a six-week course that works on tightening your pitches, improving your market analysis, that sort of thing. PM me if you want more info.

Thanks for your responses, Cassandra and Alef Bais. I slept on it, and woke up with clarity: no way am I pitching those pubs with this story. I do find that their coverage of Yiddishkeit is often warped, and even their coverage of non-Jewish topics can take a cynical, world-weary tone that is antithetical to my worldview. I don't want to be a part of it. I don't mind pitching non-Jewish stories to them, but when I'm writing about something beautiful and holy, I don't want it appearing in the same issue that might have all sorts of treife articles and ads.

Thanks for your feedback, which really helped me clarify how I felt. (I know that sounds odd, since you encouraged me to go ahead with the secular mags; but when I read your responses, I felt a strong visceral reaction and realized that deep down I didn't want to.) I was trying too hard to convince myself I felt okay about it. (I'm not saying no one should write for those pubs, just that I would feel uncomfortable with this particular story appearing there.) Anyway, thanks for helping me sort things out!

Beauty and the Beast

Post Thu, Aug 07 2008, 11:23 am
kol hakovod to you for following your heart. I wish you much Hatzlacha!

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Aug 07 2008, 11:29 am
Sorry, but after some of the garbage they've printed about the various Jewish communities, I would think that now is davka the time to submit something positive.

Beauty and the Beast

Post Thu, Aug 07 2008, 11:38 am
These papers twist everything around anyway. Even if it would be something positive. They publish it the way they want it to read.

Chocoholic

Post Thu, Aug 07 2008, 12:37 pm
You go girl! Never miss a chance for a real Kidush Hashem...

They publish so much garbage, that a good article will be a real enlightenment....

Atali

Post Thu, Aug 07 2008, 12:42 pm
chana_f wrote:
Alef Bais, the class is an online class offered to members of a writers' association I belong to. It's for professional freelancers who want to improve their pitching skills. It's a six-week course that works on tightening your pitches, improving your market analysis, that sort of thing. PM me if you want more info.

Thanks for your responses, Cassandra and Alef Bais. I slept on it, and woke up with clarity: no way am I pitching those pubs with this story. I do find that their coverage of Yiddishkeit is often warped, and even their coverage of non-Jewish topics can take a cynical, world-weary tone that is antithetical to my worldview. I don't want to be a part of it. I don't mind pitching non-Jewish stories to them, but when I'm writing about something beautiful and holy, I don't want it appearing in the same issue that might have all sorts of treife articles and ads.

Thanks for your feedback, which really helped me clarify how I felt. (I know that sounds odd, since you encouraged me to go ahead with the secular mags; but when I read your responses, I felt a strong visceral reaction and realized that deep down I didn't want to.) I was trying too hard to convince myself I felt okay about it. (I'm not saying no one should write for those pubs, just that I would feel uncomfortable with this particular story appearing there.) Anyway, thanks for helping me sort things out!

Can you PM me with information about the writing association and course as well? My DH is a writer who has been searching for a good course to take.

spinkles

Post Thu, Aug 07 2008, 12:59 pm
Atali, I PM'd you. Hope the info is helpful!

solo

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 8:54 pm
the problem with writing about a frum organization in a secular magazine is that the chessed is most often done by and for frum people only
a while ago I had a classmate who was explaining to our professor how wonderful the bikkur cholim apartments are
place to stay, food, ...
the professor was suitably impressed, and this classmate felt like she had made a huge kiddush hashem.
until a few weeks later when our professor asked my classmate how her friend could get in touch with one of the apartments cuz her son was in the hospital.
perhaps this is not the case with the charity u wrote about
but if it is, something to consider

ShakleeMom

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 9:01 pm
I too am interested in this writing class. I hope we can schlep our laptops to class, I’m not a pen and paper gal!

I say go for it. You read it, why not add to it. Every positive bit we can get out there is fabulous. I actually run a secular blog… whatever, that’s all I’m giving and I have a huge Muslim following!

bubby

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 9:59 pm
Anyone in NY (Brooklyn) want to start a new class/group? I'm game. I've been published before & I'd love to finish my novel one day embarrassed .

And yes, I probably would write for a secular mag. Halevei I should be asked!! Wink

ShakleeMom

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 10:03 pm
Isn't a writing class with a qualified instructor, who has been published and can pick out a good zaftig piece and advice us what we should do with it ? Count me in.

shalhevet

Post Wed, Feb 25 2009, 12:17 pm
chana_f wrote:

The piece would be a kiddush Hashem, and secular Jews who are pretty anti-frumkeit would read something positive for once.

This fits the populist view of kiddush Hashem, which is nothing to do with what kiddush Hashem means in Jewish halacha or thought.

As you said you need to ask your rav.

Quote:

I remember reading a beautiful interview in the Mishpacha, with an Israeli journalist who became a baal teshuvah. He told about going to speak with Rav Shach ztz"l. At the time, the journalist was working for a major secular Israeli newspaper, as well as working for the Israeli Yated at night. He asked if he should stop writing for the secular paper, so that he would be able to learn in kollel. Rav Shach answered, "And if you don't write for them, who will?" The journalist answered that there were hundreds of people who would be eager to take over his job. Rav Shach shook his head and answered, "No--better that *you* should write for them." And then Rav Shach said, "And I give you a bracha: use this koach of yours to go save Klal Yisroel."

Let's say this story is accurate.

An American non-Jewish paper is not the same as an Israel Jewish-but-secular one.

This person already had a job - he didn't come to ask if he should start working for the paper.

He was a new BT.

I have no idea if any of these points are relevant, but they are just to show that we can not make a psak because of a story. In these kind of cases each person must ask a rav individually (sounds like you just wanted confirmation of that).

Imaonwheels

Post Wed, Feb 25 2009, 11:43 pm
The most relevant point I would think for a new BT would be the work environment (tznius, kefira, culture issues). The abilty to add some light to the darkness will not make those who don't read these papers start. I know of an Israeli tv reporter who is now a BT and he is routinely sent to cover religious things which another reporter might portray in a negative light and is allowed to do some special interest pieces that are positive as well. I have a tape of my ds being interviewed by him in a piece on his yeshiva that was pretty positive. He obviously had to restrain himself not to be too positive. Just seeing him with a suit, beard and kippa on Israeli tv on Mabat is a kidush HaShem.

shalhevet

Post Thu, Feb 26 2009, 2:16 am
Imaonwheels wrote:
Just seeing him with a suit, beard and kippa on Israeli tv on Mabat is a kidush HaShem.

Why? (I'm not saying he didn't ask his rav and was given the okay, but why is it a kiddush Hashem?)

A kiddush Hashem is when a Jew shows everyone he is listening to Hashem's Torah and mitzvos (and even doing them in private has an element of kiddush Hashem). I don't know where this populist theory began that someone does a kiddush Hashem by behaving in a way that is valued by outside society. According to that theory, it would have been a kiddush Hashem in Nazi Germany to kill Jews or in Soviet Russia to publish atheist books, because it would have shown that frum Jews can also behave in a way valued by the society of that time and place. Confused

If anything, it might be a chilul Hashem for a frum Jew to be seen associated with the smut and apikorsus of Israeli television. People are sometimes given heterim for these kinds of jobs, but it's a heter, and the real kiddush Hashem is being done by the person working in a job that is unquestionably muttar to do.

meirav

Post Thu, Feb 26 2009, 3:33 am
Well said, Shalhevet.

I don't know where people get the idea that a frum baseball player or actor is a kiddush hashem.

mimivan

Post Thu, Feb 26 2009, 4:16 am
shalhevet wrote:
Imaonwheels wrote:
Just seeing him with a suit, beard and kippa on Israeli tv on Mabat is a kidush HaShem.

Why? (I'm not saying he didn't ask his rav and was given the okay, but why is it a kiddush Hashem?)

A kiddush Hashem is when a Jew shows everyone he is listening to Hashem's Torah and mitzvos (and even doing them in private has an element of kiddush Hashem). I don't know where this populist theory began that someone does a kiddush Hashem by behaving in a way that is valued by outside society. According to that theory, it would have been a kiddush Hashem in Nazi Germany to kill Jews or in Soviet Russia to publish atheist books, because it would have shown that frum Jews can also behave in a way valued by the society of that time and place. Confused

If anything, it might be a chilul Hashem for a frum Jew to be seen associated with the smut and apikorsus of Israeli television. People are sometimes given heterim for these kinds of jobs, but it's a heter, and the real kiddush Hashem is being done by the person working in a job that is unquestionably muttar to do.

it might depend on the point of view or where the person is coming from.
If a person was going to be working at that job anyway, and decided to not let that stop his wearing a kippah or keeping Shabbat, that might be a kiddush Hashem.(sorry to sound plebian...I mean populist LOL )
However, if someone was anyway frum and ordinarily avoid doing something like that, but decided to be in such a situation...that would be a step down...

Imaonwheels

Post Thu, Feb 26 2009, 2:09 pm
Quote:
A kiddush Hashem is when a Jew shows everyone he is listening to Hashem's Torah and mitzvos (and even doing them in private has an element of kiddush Hashem). I don't know where this populist theory began that someone does a kiddush Hashem by behaving in a way that is valued by outside society.

This guy was on tv before, with a bare head and a shaved face. The fact that in his position he doesn't look for heterim but goes without busha in the Israeli tv system looking like a yid (which announces that he is shomer mitzvot) and not trying to look as "normal" to the frei as possible is difficult. A tv guy I knew in the states agreed to have his kippa in a way that the camera didn't show it and trimmed his beard.

Going to work in your profession is NOT doing what the frei do. He is a kiddush HaShem because he reports on frum Jews alot in a positive light, not very common on tv. Also, frei kids never see a frum guy except for stories about the lazy/abusive/draft dodging/ govt manipulating charedi or the shiur an hour before Shabbos. Everyday role models are frei. So the kid thinks that frummies are plain weird. A professional sportsman or rock and roll singer has to change something because their occupation includes by definition creating an inappropriate culture.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics