Home

Ignorant or self-hating Jews?

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Report offensive ad

Bambamama

Post Posted: Fri, Feb 27 2009, 3:38 am       Post subject: Ignorant or self-hating Jews?
http://www.jpost.com/servlet/S.....2FShowFull

That caption is so evil that I wonder if it's really a case of ignorance and stupidity here?

HindaRochel

Post Posted: Fri, Feb 27 2009, 4:05 am       Post subject: re: Ignorant or self-hating Jews?
I think it was meant to be a joke, and I didn't get the idea that it was against Frum Jews, but about the fear of getting married in general. I think it is more disgraceful that they held a dance on Holocaust memorial day and didn't have a seder for Pesach.
Visit poster's website

mimivan

Post Posted: Fri, Feb 27 2009, 4:37 am       Post subject: re: Ignorant or self-hating Jews?
I'm scratching my head...

even back when I was "Left wing" I don't think I'd find something scary about a picture like that...maybe I wasn't left wing enough (I didn't go to Berkeley)

Tamiri

Post Posted: Fri, Feb 27 2009, 4:42 am       Post subject: re: Ignorant or self-hating Jews?
It was meant as a joke, but culture intervened. To the Orthodox, it was an insult, to the non, it was funny. *ignore*

Bambamama

Post Posted: Fri, Feb 27 2009, 4:45 am       Post subject: re: Ignorant or self-hating Jews?
Yes, if I saw the poster out of context, it would seem Nazi-ish... but I think it was just a really stupid joke.

shosh

Post Posted: Fri, Feb 27 2009, 4:47 am       Post subject: re: Ignorant or self-hating Jews?
I wonder who the couple is in the photo, if they knew what it was used for, and what they think ...

mimivan

Post Posted: Fri, Feb 27 2009, 5:12 am       Post subject: re: Ignorant or self-hating Jews?
I don't agree that we should ignore it..the reason people like Susie Essman and now the Berkeley crowd make fun of us and think they can get away with it is that they think we don't have a voice. On the one hadn, they preach cultural diversity..on the other, that means cultural diversity except for their brothers and sisters. Who must be just like them or are "scary."

If we complain about such things and demand respect, they might just have a much-needed pause for thought.

Tamiri

Post Posted: Fri, Feb 27 2009, 5:52 am       Post subject: re: Ignorant or self-hating Jews?
Mimi, I look at the picture and think: look at them glowing on their wedding day. I hope they will always be so happy.
Pop culture has the general population brainwashed that such marriage is scary, a punishment, stupid, old fashioned, behind the times... you get the picture.
It's not a matter of self hating or ignorant at all. It's a matter of how they view the world. And seeing a young couple getting hitched isn't "cool".

ora_43

Post Posted: Fri, Feb 27 2009, 8:58 am       Post subject: re: Ignorant or self-hating Jews?
I see what they were trying to do, but I think it's really mean to use a wedding photo that way. A cartoon would have been better (although not referring to marriage as "scary" in the first place might have been best).

I was more shocked by the idea that there's a hillel that hosts events for Valentine's day but not for Pesach.

melbee

Post Posted: Fri, Feb 27 2009, 9:59 am       Post subject: re: Ignorant or self-hating Jews?
I don't really see the fact that they don't hold Pesach seders and this wedding photo as two completely mutually exclusive events, and for that reason I feel offended seeing the ad. I do not believe that it in and of itself was offensive, and therefore when people get offended it looks like "Oh, look at the Orthodox, getting offended by our good time". I understand the ad was meant to say marriage = scary.. So why not just post a picture of any wedding? Most secular or non-Jewish people (and I assume this event was open to non-Jews as well as Jews) would not even see that picture and necessarily put it in the context of a wedding. And most don't know about shidduch dating and its faster pace (at least not the college kids I know), so it doesn't really point to the theme of "speed-friending" either. Why not a cartoon of a more secular wedding, or an engagement ring, or any number of things that can point to weddings? Because they are a Hillel, and it therefore needs to be Jewish? Then hold a Pesach seder, and be Jewish...

freidasima

Post Posted: Fri, Feb 27 2009, 10:02 am       Post subject: re: Ignorant or self-hating Jews?
Narishkeit.
But the business of Hillel holding a dance when they did or not holding a seder, now THAT is sad.

Raisin

Post Posted: Fri, Feb 27 2009, 10:07 am       Post subject: re: Ignorant or self-hating Jews?
usually pesach takes place when school is not open, and even the more secular students make the effort to go home for the seder. there may just not be a huge demand for sedarim.
View previous topic :: View next topic

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

Page 1 of 1