Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Insulting or helpful

Ruchel

Post Fri, Mar 06 2009, 5:46 am
I'm hosting a converting girl for her first ashkenazi Orthodox shabbes.

Is it bad idea or does it rock to print out some shabbes songs for her not to feel left out?

If yes, any ideas except lecha dodi, shalom aleichem, tzadik katamar etc?

Raisin

Post Fri, Mar 06 2009, 5:56 am
does she read hebrew? you can try and find translitirations if she doesn't. I can't tell you what songs, becasue I don't know what songs you know and sing.

you should be able to find birchonim with songs in.

amother

Post Fri, Mar 06 2009, 6:51 am
Ruchel wrote:

Is it bad idea or does it rock to print out some shabbes songs for her not to feel left out?

PLEASE NO,I HATED IT WHEN PEOPLE WOULD DO THE NICEST THINGS TO REMIND ME,WHAT I DIDNT KNOW!!
just let her come and feel like part of the jewish people, without the reminder that she doesn't know some songs!!
SORRY BIG PET PEEVE!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Raisin

Post Fri, Mar 06 2009, 6:56 am
amother wrote:
Ruchel wrote:

PLEASE NO,I HATED IT WHEN PEOPLE WOULD DO THE NICEST THINGS TO REMIND ME,WHAT I DIDNT KNOW!!
just let her come and feel like part of the jewish people, without the reminder that she doesn't know some songs!!

ruchel could do it in a way that is not insulting. eg at the back of our birchonim is a whole bunch of songs, in hebrew and also transliterated, plus some english songs. we use them because we do not know the words by heart always!

so if everyone at the table has a songsheet or songbook, why not? (is it better to sit there not knowing the words?)

louche

Post Fri, Mar 06 2009, 9:12 am
Raisin wrote:

ruchel could do it in a way that is not insulting. eg at the back of our birchonim is a whole bunch of songs, in hebrew and also transliterated, plus some english songs. we use them because we do not know the words by heart always!

so if everyone at the table has a songsheet or songbook, why not? (is it better to sit there not knowing the words?)

excellent idea!
I don't think I know anyone who DOESN'T use a bencher for singing zemiros. Even if I know all the words, I still open the book.

mama-star

Post Fri, Mar 06 2009, 10:17 am
print out "gedalia goomber," by uncle moishy.

Akeres Habayis

Post Sat, Mar 07 2009, 1:30 pm
[quote="Raisin"]
amother wrote:
Ruchel wrote:

so if everyone at the table has a songsheet or songbook, why not? (is it better to sit there not knowing the words?)[/quote

everyone is the keyword here.
I wonder what ruchel did?

Ruchel

Post Sun, Mar 08 2009, 6:45 am
I asked husband who said to print these 3 songs and just for her but to look with her like I don't know them.

We do not use books for shabbes, why? My husband knows the prayers by heart and I don't say anything except amen... as for the songs I know them by heart, and anyway I'm too slow to read Hebrew...

She was very happy to kinda sing along.

Marion

Post Sun, Mar 08 2009, 7:38 am
My DH uses benchers but I don't (except for the actual benching). I know the words to most of what we sing. But we do always give them out so anyone who wants to use one may.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette