Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Can you freeze raw challah dough that has already risen???

Rochelro

Post Tue, Sep 15 2009, 10:47 pm
will it come out ok? or do I have to bake them all?

louche

Post Tue, Sep 15 2009, 10:59 pm
how many times did it rise already? Dough can rise at least 3 times, so if you let it rise twice, punch it down and freeze. then thaw, shape, rise again and bake. if it doesn't rise at all after thawing--keep in mind that it first has to come to room temperature, then first start to rise, which will take more time than usual--then you can decide whether to bake it anyway--the heat of the oven may cause some rising--or give it up. But don't leave it frozen too long, or it will die for sure.

I have revived dead dough by proofing yeast and kneading it into the dead dough. I don't recommend this as a standard operating procedure, but before I threw out 2-1/2 lbs. of dough and several hours of work, I was going to try everything!

Rochelro

Post Tue, Sep 15 2009, 11:26 pm
I made the dough and then let it rise for 2 hours, is that considered the first rising?
or do you mean the eact time I punched it down in between?

louche

Post Tue, Sep 15 2009, 11:29 pm
how many times did you punch it down? each time you punch it down it's technically another rising, but total rising time also counts. I've let dough rise in the fridge overnight and punched down about 3 times before the final rise and it's been fine.

catonmylap

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 12:34 am
I always freeze after the first rising.

Mishie

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 1:44 am
I once put challah dough in the freezer, thinking that the extreme cold would stop it from rising. Imagine my surprise when I opened the freezer a few hours later to a HUGE mountain!!!!
I couldn't believe it!!!

alisa

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 5:10 am
most doughs are fine after freezing

please note, that halacha wise there is a di bake all or freeze part of the dough.
if you made a dough that requiers hafrashas challah with a bracha, but you are not going to bake the whole dough then you cannot take challah with a bracha.

please verify with your Rav.

grin

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 5:20 am
alisa wrote:

please note, that halacha wise there is a di bake all or freeze part of the dough.
if you made a dough that requiers hafrashas challah with a bracha, but you are not going to bake the whole dough then you cannot take challah with a bracha.

would never have thought to ask - I make a bigger dough davka to make hafrasha, even though it's more challahs than we'll eat in one Shabbos. That's why I freeze half the dough. (Freezing challahs doesn't taste as fresh.) I'll need to ask if it helps.

DovDov

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 5:21 pm
I once made a big challah dough and put two ziploc bags full (after first rising) into the freezer. Heard a loud PLOP in the middle of the night and found that they had expanded enough to open both bags and one had pushed open the freezer door.

Turned out DH had unplugged the fridge to microwave something (small apt and micro + fridge = short) and forgotten to plug it back in. Aaargh!

So we cut away the dough that had been resting on the floor, punched it back down, and refroze (well, froze), and if I remember correctly it was fine.

grin

Post Fri, Oct 30 2009, 5:17 am
grin wrote:
alisa wrote:

would never have thought to ask - I make a bigger dough davka to make hafrasha, even though it's more challahs than we'll eat in one Shabbos. That's why I freeze half the dough. (Freezing challahs doesn't taste as fresh.) I'll need to ask if it helps.
well, I asked my rov yesterday and he said there's no problem with you making hafrashas challah with a bracha even if you are not going to bake the whole dough that day but instead put part in the freezer for another week.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads