Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Nutramagin, Alimentum alternative?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Tue, Oct 27 2009, 3:53 pm
Is there an alternative that is kosher? if I must I will use them but I would like to know if there is an alternative that is kosher first. I heard from a doctor that there is but never heard of it since then.

meanwhile I am going to try soy. (gi said I shouldn't because 30% of milk allergic babies are also allergic to soy, but my pediatrician said that at 6 months I can try and she is almost 5 months.)

does $15 a can powder soy formula make sense btw?

PIP

Post Tue, Oct 27 2009, 3:58 pm
elecare. and yes.

intel

Post Tue, Oct 27 2009, 4:05 pm
where can you find elecare? and how much does that cost for how much $?

bnm

Post Tue, Oct 27 2009, 4:55 pm
FYI-don't want to start a debate or anything but if your kid needs Nutramagin or Alimentum insurance and or Wic might help pay for it.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 27 2009, 4:59 pm
yeah, I know. meanwhile, lets see if the soy will agree with her. how long does it take to see if she has a problem with the soy formula? if by tomorrow she's okay, can I give it to her again?

Mirabelle

Post Tue, Oct 27 2009, 4:59 pm
My friend's son is on neocate...no idea if it is kosher or not, but this kid has severe food allergies and its the only kind of formula that he can take. He cannot have soy.

We are using soy for one of my twins and I know I paid a lot more than 15 dollars for the can I just bought. More like 25 dollars (from walmart).
She is using the Isomil (Similac) one.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 27 2009, 5:00 pm
DiznyIma wrote:
My friend's son is on neocate...no idea if it is kosher or not, but this kid has severe food allergies and its the only kind of formula that he can take. He cannot have soy.

We are using soy for one of my twins and I know I paid a lot more than 15 dollars for the can I just bought. More like 25 dollars (from walmart).

I guess I bought a smaller can!

Mirabelle

Post Tue, Oct 27 2009, 5:02 pm
I bought the biggest can that I could get....so that could be right!

Mirabelle

Post Tue, Oct 27 2009, 5:03 pm
Oh and in terms of my friend's son on neocate, because it's considered presciption its covered by insurance! How nice is that!

amother

Post Tue, Oct 27 2009, 5:05 pm
DiznyIma wrote:

One of my daughters had to go on neocate. There is no hechsher, though I saw something online that suggested that it might be okay per London Beis Din. Not sure. It was all very confusing and not really that important to us at the time since there was really no choice in the matter. All alternatives had been exhausted.

PIP

Post Tue, Oct 27 2009, 5:06 pm
I think shoprite has elecare. I'm not sure if there is an OU but I'm 99.9% sure its kosher.

bnm

Post Tue, Oct 27 2009, 5:17 pm
DiznyIma wrote:

the big powder is about 23 in Shop Rite. I bought a new container, used 1 bottles worth and the dr said I shouldn't continue....switched us to Nutramigin.....

Mirabelle

Post Tue, Oct 27 2009, 5:31 pm
bnm wrote:
DiznyIma wrote:

the big powder is about 23 in Shop Rite. I bought a new container, used 1 bottles worth and the dr said I shouldn't continue....switched us to Nutramigin.....

Oy, that is annoying!

My DH bought the wrong forumulas for the twins and Walmart would not take back the unopened packages. That is very frustrating also! I guess I will donate them to a formula gemach....

bnm

Post Tue, Oct 27 2009, 5:34 pm
DiznyIma wrote:
bnm wrote:
DiznyIma wrote:

Oy, that is annoying!

My DH bought the wrong forumulas for the twins and Walmart would not take back the unopened packages. That is very frustrating also! I guess I will donate them to a formula gemach....

they are on different formulas?

Mirabelle

Post Tue, Oct 27 2009, 5:43 pm
bnm wrote:
DiznyIma wrote:
bnm wrote:
DiznyIma wrote:

Oy, that is annoying!

they are on different formulas?

Yeah, one is on Enfmail Premium and one is on Similac Soy.

bnm

Post Tue, Oct 27 2009, 5:44 pm
DiznyIma wrote:

Yeah, one is on Enfmail Premium and one is on Similac Soy.

that can get complicated......

Mirabelle

Post Tue, Oct 27 2009, 5:53 pm
tell me about it!

But they eat, so I am happy!

bnm

Post Tue, Oct 27 2009, 5:56 pm
my daughter was on 3 different formulas within the span of 3 weeks. now she is refusing to drink the latest but from the few ounces she did already drink I see a major difference....I'm thinking of adding some coco or chocholate syrup so she will eat it....she took in 6 ounces in 8 hours but at night she does drink a little more.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 27 2009, 6:31 pm
My baby is on elecare formula. AFAIK, it can only be ordered online, or through a pharmacy with a prescription from a pediatrician. It's very expensive and costs between $30-45/14 oz. can. We are actually able to get our's through WIC but we don't get enough so we order extra. We usually get those cans on ebay for about $15/can. It's completely kosher according to the OU, even though there's no hechsher.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Oct 28 2009, 12:11 am
amother wrote:
yeah, I know. meanwhile, lets see if the soy will agree with her. how long does it take to see if she has a problem with the soy formula? if by tomorrow she's okay, can I give it to her again?
it probably is different for each child. my daughter reacted to milk formula so we switched to soy and it took about a week for her body to finally tell us that this was definintely also not good for her. it also probably depends on what happens when she takes it. for my daughter it became increasingly difficult to make a b.m until she would be screaming so hard that she almost went limp once or twice so we realized that it was no good and that was when the doc told up to try nutramigen. good luck.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics