Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Shalom Bayis Kugel?

DF79

Post Sun, Dec 06 2009, 8:41 pm
My husband speaks of a kugel. It has three layers. I believe kishka , potato kugel and noodle kugel.
Does anyone have a recipe for me???

Thanks

yihyetov

Post Sun, Dec 06 2009, 8:46 pm
is it me or does that sound gross?

lovemywig

Post Sun, Dec 06 2009, 8:49 pm
OMG never heard about it dh says he did. And it does sound interesting. Sounds like a couple had shalem bayes problems solving which kugel to make so they combined all in one.

zzzz

Post Sun, Dec 06 2009, 10:18 pm
I have heard about it and have tasted it too. It tastes really good. I can try and get the recipe for you.

OldYoung

Post Sun, Dec 06 2009, 10:54 pm
Never heard of it before, but when I asked my husband about it, he had a good laugh. It sounds like the quintessential Imamother thread- recipes and shalom bayis all rolled-up into one!

nicole81

Post Sun, Dec 06 2009, 10:56 pm
I never heard of it but I just asked my husband and he has! he did not, however, seem interested in trying it.

pobody's nerfect

Post Sun, Dec 06 2009, 10:59 pm
I used to work for a kiruv organization and helped run shabbatons. we got our food from a local takeout place, often just whatever was leftover. the shalom bayis kugel was the worst thing to get... so strange... like a big mush of things!

sunny90

Post Mon, Dec 07 2009, 1:01 am
I'm LOL because what we call a shalom bayis kugel (or cake) in my house (well, my parents' house) is different:
Whenever someone makes a cake or kugel for shabbos, we usually make a double recipe so that people can taste it before shabbos and it won't ruin the one for shabbos! thats why it's a shalom bayis cake--because my sister who would make it would get so frustrated when people would just "taste" the thing and there would only be like half left for shabbos! Wink

Pizza

Post Mon, Dec 07 2009, 1:22 am
I have had it at a kiddush, and it was delicious
it is the same concept as the tricolor kugel (carrot - spinach/broccoli - potato)

toastedbagel

Post Mon, Dec 07 2009, 6:44 am
never heard of it as a three layer kugel
the story I heard with a sholom bayis kugel was a couple back in the shtetl who had major issues because one felt the kugel should be served at the beginning of the meal, and one felt the kugel should be served at the end of the meal. they went to the rav, and the rav said they should make two kugels, serve one at the beginning, and one at the end, and the extra kugel will be the sholom bayis kugel. of course, each spouse thought the OTHER kugel was the sholom bayis kugel, but one more jewish home made peaceful.

pina colada

Post Tue, Dec 08 2009, 2:55 am
I heard similar to toasted bagel, a woman went to a rav to complain that she works so hard making the potato kugel and her husband doesn't have an appetite for it as he stuffed when she serves it with the cholent. The rav told the woman to serve the kugel after kiddush, thus known as sholom bayis kugel.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Dec 08 2009, 10:23 am
DF79 wrote:
My husband speaks of a kugel. It has three layers. I believe kishka , potato kugel and noodle kugel.
Does anyone have a recipe for me???

Thanks

I can't imagine how long that would take to bake. Also, all those dirty pots ! That wouldn't be a recipe for sholom bayis for everone.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes