Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
"Private Practice" with frum couple

imamama

Post Tue, Dec 08 2009, 4:10 pm
Anyone see the latest episode of Private Practice with the frum couple who says they're not allowed to use any form of birth control? And then at the end Violet gives her the pill to "treat iron deficiency" and the frum lady slips it into her pocket conspiratorially. ARRGGHH!! I was yelling at the screen. If they're gonna make TV shows with frum people in them, they should do their homework about what we really hold. Banging head Banging head Banging head

lkwdwife2009

Post Tue, Dec 08 2009, 4:15 pm
Yes I saw that, very interesting!! It doesnt shock me, in these shows, Shonda Rhimes (the producer) is trying to bring about a point in each themed episode. Without looking into it, she would just as easily featured an Amish couple but this is set in LA where Amish are harder to come by than Orthodox Jews. Don't sweat it...

rb

Post Tue, Dec 08 2009, 4:17 pm
Yeah, talk about stereotyping. I also like the scene where they brought in something like 10 of their kids into the waiting room, and most of them were crying. I didn't realize you can have 10 kids all under 5 years in age!!!

imamama

Post Tue, Dec 08 2009, 4:40 pm
It just pisses me off that their portraiture of frum people is inaccurate. They actually did something similar a while back with a Catholic woman who asks Addison to tie her tubes while she's in there giving her a C-section because she can't handle having any more kids. So OK, in that case, she mamash has no other options. But in the scene where they're going through all the forms of birth control, they're going, "Spermicide, no. Diaphragm, no. Pill, no." When you can get a heter for all those things. I did like that the rabbi mentions that Jews have s e x not just for procreation, but also for pleasure, and it's a mitzvah. LOL

tzipp

Post Tue, Dec 08 2009, 5:44 pm
Actually, if you listen to what the Rabbi character said, he said that some ppl say one girl and one boy is enough, and others are more strict. He said the couple "could" get a Rabbi to allow them to use bc, but it doesn't seem like that waswhat they wanted. I think there is truth in that- frum couples who feel it is the right thing to keep on having kids, even when overwhelmed. (I'm not judging, but I think there are ppl like that).

Yes, kinda stereotypical, but not completely untrue.

greenfire

Post Tue, Dec 08 2009, 6:10 pm
they do all sorts of crazy episodes ... none of them quite true - but at least they want to portray jews - that's something What

I think there was also an episode where a muslim girl claimed she was raped rather than admit she was having zex with her boyfriend ... she was afraid her father would kill her and her parents brought her in for an abortion so she could go back home and marry her promised man ...

frumamn

Post Tue, Dec 08 2009, 6:15 pm
My only big beef with these shows that have frum men- give them haircuts!! How many frum men who won't even use birth control, have long, shaggy hair to go with their beards? It's irked me every time I've seen it, starting way back with The Frisco Kid. It just adds to the overall not-so-good impression people are get from the characters.

risa

Post Sun, Dec 13 2009, 10:54 pm
I hate when the couple doesn't "match." She's in a tichel and he's got curly peyos! The whole thing was so poorly executed. With just a little bit of research they could've found out that using some sort of BC is very much a part of religious Jewish life. I hate seeing that kind of stuff, it's never done correctly.

catonmylap

Post Sun, Dec 13 2009, 11:40 pm
That was one of the worst frum stories in some time on tv.

pina colada

Post Mon, Dec 14 2009, 12:34 am
Why doesn't anyone contact the TV show to complain against the way they are inaccurately portraying and stereotyping frum Jews?

Is there a stand we can take? Its not slander, but isn't there a/t else we can do?

flowerpower

Post Mon, Dec 14 2009, 1:53 am
All their episodes there and on greys portreys the worst of all kinds. it's embarrasing not just about how they portray us but in all circles.

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Dec 14 2009, 3:48 am
tzipp wrote:
Actually, if you listen to what the Rabbi character said, he said that some ppl say one girl and one boy is enough, and others are more strict. He said the couple "could" get a Rabbi to allow them to use bc, but it doesn't seem like that waswhat they wanted. I think there is truth in that- frum couples who feel it is the right thing to keep on having kids, even when overwhelmed. (I'm not judging, but I think there are ppl like that).

Yes, kinda stereotypical, but not completely untrue.

The problem is, it's not just about what the couple wanted but if the show takes the time to have a 'Rabbi' present the Halachot to a bunch of non jews, at least get the information right. And they didn't.

In addition, I was disgusted with the whole Naomi/Sam/Maya interplay.... 'Your mother will kill you'? 'Call your father because I'm going to kill you'? EXCUSE ME????
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics