Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Giving Tylenol Without Mother's Permission
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Tova

Post Tue, Dec 08 2009, 10:39 pm
1) I didn't say the babysitter could not understand English; I said it she is not American and I could have understood her wrong (it happened with other things - like she told me not to pay for Thanksgiving week as it was a short week and instead carry over the hours and just pay it with the next week and I didn't 100% understand it and paid her for a short week anyways. No biggie.) She can most definately read!

2) She is not a teenager...she is a Bubby! I am not worried that she is inexperienced. L'hefech - she is so experienced that (assuming she did give the Tylenol) she probrably trusted her own judgement. Of course she should have called me first.

3) I just spoke w/ another mother who sends her child there...she said I should just ask her straight out and clarify. I will do so and update bli neder tomorrow.

4) I will make clear to her that I don't want her to give my daughter medication without my permission. As long as I feel she is on the same page as me I see no reason not to continue using her.

5) I DO know the difference between Tylenol (an acetominophen) and Motrin (an ibuprofen). I only have infant Motrin in the house but I don't think baby Tylenol is poison in the right dose. My daughter is a normal average one year old. I have no worries of over-dosing. b"H.

Thanks for the input.

Seraph

Post Wed, Dec 09 2009, 1:36 am
Mothers, what would you want a babysitter to do if your kid has a really high fever and they're trying to reach you but you're not available? Would you want them to give your kid tylenol then? or even so, no?

I have an agreement with my parents of the kids that I watch that I call them whenever their kids are sick to come pick the kid up, but I've gotten permission from some parents that if I cant reach them and their kid has a fever, I can give them tylenol.
But only with prior permission.

I wouldn't be thrilled if this happened to me and my babysitter didnt try to reach me, but if she tried and I wasnt available so gave tylenol, I'd be happy that she cares for my baby's wellbeing and doesnt want him to be in pain/miserable.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Dec 09 2009, 8:08 am
Did she know my kid is not allergic? did she give the right amount of it? fine, no need to call me, just tell me when I come.

HindaRochel

Post Wed, Dec 09 2009, 8:39 am
Tova wrote:
1) I didn't say the babysitter could not understand English; I said it she is not American and I could have understood her wrong (it happened with other things - like she told me not to pay for Thanksgiving week as it was a short week and instead carry over the hours and just pay it with the next week and I didn't 100% understand it and paid her for a short week anyways. No biggie.) She can most definately read!

2) She is not a teenager...she is a Bubby! I am not worried that she is inexperienced. L'hefech - she is so experienced that (assuming she did give the Tylenol) she probrably trusted her own judgement. Of course she should have called me first.

3) I just spoke w/ another mother who sends her child there...she said I should just ask her straight out and clarify. I will do so and update bli neder tomorrow.

4) I will make clear to her that I don't want her to give my daughter medication without my permission. As long as I feel she is on the same page as me I see no reason not to continue using her.

5) I DO know the difference between Tylenol (an acetominophen) and Motrin (an ibuprofen). I only have infant Motrin in the house but I don't think baby Tylenol is poison in the right dose. My daughter is a normal average one year old. I have no worries of over-dosing. b"H.

Thanks for the input.

Tova,
FWIW I think you are taking the right approach.
I wouldn't make a big deal of it, just tell her, no medication unless it is an emergency, without asking first. Though, because children do run fevers and such, if she can't reach you, you should tell her what you want done (give my daughter this not that. Just try me again in 1/2hr and if you still can't reach me call my husband, whatever).

amother

Post Wed, Dec 09 2009, 8:47 am
if you mean a babysitter who you hired for the evening, then yes, I would be very, very upset by this.

but if this is your daily babysitter (eg your nanny or a woman who runs a playgroup out of her home who you bring your kid to), and they "know" your kid, I absolutley would not be upset, I would be happy that took the initiative! I have a list of things, do's and donts. baby tylenol and eye drops are the only things my babysitter is allowed to give my baby. she knows I absolutely forbid benadryl or anything else. if she cant get ahold of me, she gives tylenol and its just fine, better that way then him being in paiN!!!!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Dec 09 2009, 9:01 am
FWIW, I don't think I've seen tylenol labels give dosage for under 2 years of age (and 24 lbs maybe?)...

greenfire

Post Wed, Dec 09 2009, 9:43 am
if you put your trust in this woman to watch your kid - you should give her the trust to take appropriate action ... while it would be better to ask mom first sometimes being proactive is in your child's best interest ...

Tehilla

Post Wed, Dec 09 2009, 9:52 am
Seraph wrote:
Mothers, what would you want a babysitter to do if your kid has a really high fever and they're trying to reach you but you're not available? Would you want them to give your kid tylenol then? or even so, no?.

I believe my kids' school has a policy that they are not allowed to administer any medication at all (permission or not). They are authorized however to call the child's pediatrician (chas v'shalom any of this should ever be necessary!).

Quote:
I have an agreement with my parents of the kids that I watch that I call them whenever their kids are sick to come pick the kid up, but I've gotten permission from some parents that if I cant reach them and their kid has a fever, I can give them tylenol.

Right, this sounds normal. However, it didn't sound to me like this happened with OP's situation at all. In the past, when I worked and had a sitter I left a detailed information sheet with her that included dosages, numbers, etc etc. and instructions on when to call me and what to do if unable to reach me.

Quote:
I wouldn't be thrilled if this happened to me and my babysitter didnt try to reach me, but if she tried and I wasnt available so gave tylenol, I'd be happy that she cares for my baby's wellbeing and doesnt want him to be in pain/miserable.

You, and everyone else who's approaching this in moderation are all right! I happen to have seen some pretty crazy stuff with sitters, and am just always extra cautious with medications (again once you see some of the nutcase stuff I saw, you'd probably also react with extra caution!).

Your post was such a great one to resond to, Seraph!

Seraph

Post Wed, Dec 09 2009, 10:52 am
Tehilla wrote:
Seraph wrote:
Mothers, what would you want a babysitter to do if your kid has a really high fever and they're trying to reach you but you're not available? Would you want them to give your kid tylenol then? or even so, no?.

I believe my kids' school has a policy that they are not allowed to administer any medication at all (permission or not). They are authorized however to call the child's pediatrician (chas v'shalom any of this should ever be necessary!).

Quote:

Right, this sounds normal. However, it didn't sound to me like this happened with OP's situation at all. In the past, when I worked and had a sitter I left a detailed information sheet with her that included dosages, numbers, etc etc. and instructions on when to call me and what to do if unable to reach me.

Quote:

You, and everyone else who's approaching this in moderation are all right! I happen to have seen some pretty crazy stuff with sitters, and am just always extra cautious with medications (again once you see some of the nutcase stuff I saw, you'd probably also react with extra caution!).

Thank you, tehilla!

Fox

Post Wed, Dec 09 2009, 11:55 am
Tehilla wrote:
Seraph wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thumbs Up

When my kids were little, I actually made a little kit with liquid ibuprofen, some oral analgesic for teething, and a handful of other first aid or OTC medications. I bought measuring spoons at a dollar store and literally rubber-banded the correct spoon to each bottle of medication. Since my babysitter was Russian, I asked a friend fluent in Russian to write basic instructions in Russian on labels which I then attached to various meds, etc.

I know this sounds like a lot, but I don't think it took me more than a total of an hour or two. I kept the kit next to where my babysitter left her handbag, and I also had a huge label on the top of the box with my phone number and name transliterated into Russian. I figured that in an emergency or even quasi-emergency, it might be hard to figure out instructions in a second language.

Tehilla

Post Wed, Dec 09 2009, 12:12 pm
Fox wrote:
When my kids were little, I actually made a little kit with liquid ibuprofen, some oral analgesic for teething, and a handful of other first aid or OTC medications. I bought measuring spoons at a dollar store and literally rubber-banded the correct spoon to each bottle of medication. Since my babysitter was Russian, I asked a friend fluent in Russian to write basic instructions in Russian on labels which I then attached to various meds, etc.

I know this sounds like a lot, but I don't think it took me more than a total of an hour or two. I kept the kit next to where my babysitter left her handbag, and I also had a huge label on the top of the box with my phone number and name transliterated into Russian. I figured that in an emergency or even quasi-emergency, it might be hard to figure out instructions in a second language.

Actually, it sounds very intelligent and considerate, and safety-oriented! I do something very similar, including writing our address and hatzala number, emergency back-up contacts, etc.

Tova

Post Wed, Dec 09 2009, 12:34 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
FWIW, I don't think I've seen tylenol labels give dosage for under 2 years of age (and 24 lbs maybe?)...

Maybe not regular Tylenol but infant/baby Tylenol definately has a dosage for under 2.

Tova

Post Wed, Dec 09 2009, 12:39 pm
b"H I am so happy with the way things turned out. (This is my daily sitter, for the poster who was unclear. My daughter is usually there between 4.5 and 5 hours a day).

When I brought her this morning, before I could open my mouth, she said to ME "Is it OK that I gave Tylenol yesterday; can I continue to give her if I feel she needs?" So I responded that in the future I would rather she call me before giving any medication. I also said that I am 20 minutes away and have no problem coming home early if she is sick or running a fever. She said OK and it is done with. I know this is the first time it happened and sitter is very good at giving me the run-down of the day (nap times, amount of diapers changed, etc.) - more info than I ever need - and I trust her.

[My baby actually leaped into the sitter's arms when she opened the door this morning and she's never done that before...maybe she likes the medicine! Just kidding here, of course.]

edited for spelling mistake

Last edited by Tova on Wed, Dec 09 2009, 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

chaylizi

Post Wed, Dec 09 2009, 12:41 pm
In my kids school, they can only give medicine if they have a form signed by both the parent & pediatrician. I didn't sign it. They can call me. So can my babysitters. If I know I have a problem before I leave, I show them the bottle & dosage before I leave. Otherwise they have my phone number & they use it. I do understand the distinction between daily babysitter & out for the evening sitter. I don't have a daily sitter. I suppose I would have to give one a little more leeway, if I ever decided to get one.

Tehilla

Post Wed, Dec 09 2009, 12:42 pm
Tova wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

Maybe not regular Tylenol but infant/baby Tylenol definately has a dosage for under 2.

mine doesn't. it says ask a doctor.

(but I'm happy of course that everything turned out well and clear for you.)

Tova

Post Wed, Dec 09 2009, 12:44 pm
Tehilla - I'll have to double-check that then (if I even have any in the house. I only buy infant Motrin but I think I have a sample from the doctor's office of Tylenol). If I am wrong, I stand corrected.

kitov

Post Wed, Dec 09 2009, 12:46 pm
Tova wrote:
b"H I am so happy with the way things turned out. (This is my daily sitter, for the poster who was unclear. My daughter is usually there between 4.5 and 5 hours a day).

When I brought her this morning, before I could open my mouth, she said to ME "Is it OK that I gave Tylenol yesterday; can I continue to give her if I feel she needs?" So I responded that in the future I would rather she call me before giving any medication. I also said that I am 20 minutes away and have no problem coming home early if she is sick or running a fever. She said OK and it is done with. I know this is the first time it happened and sitter is very good at giving me the run-down of the day (nap times, amount of diapers changed, etc.) - more info than I ever need - and I trust her.

[My baby actually leaped into the sitter's arms when she opened the door this morning and she's never done that before...maybe she likes the medicine! Just kidding here, of course.]

edited for spelling mistake

Maybe she's a member here, or has a friend that is, and she read your post. Now she feels terribly sorry, so it was the first thing on her mind this morning? Rolling Eyes

chaylizi

Post Wed, Dec 09 2009, 12:50 pm
btw, the infant tylenol bottle does not have doses for infants. it says ask a doctor under 24 mos. my pediatrician's office hands out a dosage sheet in the hospital. I always hang it up because if I lose it, I have to look it up online. I have to remember what site I use. I'll post it if I find it.

Isramom8

Post Wed, Dec 09 2009, 12:51 pm
It depends more on the way she explained than what she did. Do you FEEL comfortable with her? Did she bring it up, and explain confidently and matter of factly exactly what she did, and why - and why she didn't contact you first? Or does she seem befuddled and lacking in good judgment?

I tried a babysitter before a shmita cycle, and told her specifically not to feed my baby anything other than what I provided. When I arrived back she was feeding my baby her own homemade pureed fruit (which in shmitta would not be our hechsher). She said that the other babies were having it, and don't worry, she won't tell my husband the rbbi, wink wink.

I told this to another babysitter who also wasn't frum - but I trusted her, because she said, "I'd NEVER feed your baby anything you said not to, never mind if I thought it was kosher enough. What if she were allergic?"

Medicine: My child once swalloed a whole bottle of antibiotics, and poison control said he might just have a stomachache, but no problem otherwise. Tylenol might be a problem though - I have no idea.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Dec 09 2009, 12:53 pm
chaylizi wrote:
btw, the infant tylenol bottle does not have doses for infants. it says ask a doctor under 24 mos. my pediatrician's office hands out a dosage sheet in the hospital. I always hang it up because if I lose it, I have to look it up online. I have to remember what site I use. I'll post it if I find it.
I check it up in the AAP book Smile
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics