Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
A Light For Greytowers- in Israel this Chanuka!
1  2  Next

ShiningThrough

Post Wed, Dec 09 2009, 5:19 am
Take your daughters/mothers/sisters & enjoy!

(bumped and reopened from this thread: http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....hter=

The Jerusalem Cinemateque (sponsor of the Jerusalem Jewish Film Festival) has made the courageous and groundbreaking decision to join the Tel Aviv Cinemateque in showing “A Light for Greytowers” — the first time a women-only film has ever screened in either Cinemateque, creating a new precedent in Israel and building a bridge, through art, between people from diverse Jewish backgrounds.

"The movie evokes the Broadway musicals “Oliver” and “Annie” with admirable professionalism while injecting just enough Yiddishkeit to establish it as a pioneering work in Jewish musical theater. The musical numbers are energetic and beautifully sung. The matron of the orphanage carries the show, but even with her powerful performance the orphans hold their own, and find their marks with precision and confidence. I would have liked more musical numbers since they are the most enjoyable part of the movie. I look forward to more work from these artists!"

—Karen Avrech

Jerusalem Cinemateque
11 Hebron Road, Jerusalem 91083
Dec. 10 @ 21:30 and Dec. 24 @ 19:00
Tickets: 02-565-4333

Tel Aviv Cinemateque
2 Sprintsac Street, Tel Aviv 61203
Dec. 13, 15, 16, 17 @ 13:00
Tickets: 03-565-4333
Hebrew-language flyer

The Menachem Begin Heritage Center
6 S.U. Nachon St., Jerusalem
Dec. 14 @ 19:00, 21:00
Dec. 17 @ 12:00, 14:00
Tickets: 02-565-2020

Matnas Amishav [Amishav Community Center], Petach Tikva
1 Kehilat Chicago, Petach Tikva
Dec. 16 @ 11:00, 13:00
Tickets at the door

Chabad House of the Old City of Tzefat
28 Khatam Sofer, Tzefat 13203
Dec. 15th @ 20:30
Tickets at the door

Recent Press from Israeli Premiere at the Ashkelon Jewish Eye World Jewish Film Festival:
“Seret Acher L’Gamrei” ["A Totally Different Film"] (in Hebrew) B’Sheva 5 November 2009

“Ashkelon Film Festival to Screen Musical to Women-Only Audience” Haaretz 30 October 2009

“Distinctly Religious Offerings Earn Praise at Israeli Film Festival” Chabad.org 29 October 2009

“Audio: A Musical Made by Frum Women” A7 Radio’s “Walter’s World” with Walter Bingham 25 October 2009

ShiningThrough

Post Thu, Dec 10 2009, 3:07 am
An added message I received today from Judy Winegard, who stars in the film:
Dear Friends,

Please encourage women and girls to attend A Light for Greytowers on Thursday night, Dec 10, at the Jerusalem Cinemateque, very important!

We are concerned that there may be some uninvited men who show up to see the film (chasv'shalom) at this one venue. The best way to prevent that from happening is to have all the seats filled EARLY by women. Hereidi/daati women tend to show up late to events. We are encouraging women to get there an hour before @ 8:30-- the film is scheduled to begin @ 9:30.

Advance ticket sales: 02-5654333

The Cinemateque also happens to be a great, professional venue.

Please circulate to friends/family in Israel. Thank you for your help.

Bored

Post Thu, Dec 10 2009, 4:52 am
where is hebron street and how much are tickets?

Ruchel

Post Thu, Dec 10 2009, 5:32 am
Quote:
Hereidi/daati women tend to show up late to events.

All jews do! except maybe yekkes LOL

Sherri

Post Thu, Dec 10 2009, 5:48 am
Ruchel wrote:
Quote:
Hereidi/daati women tend to show up late to events.

All jews do! except maybe yekkes LOL
Um, no.

ShiningThrough

Post Thu, Dec 10 2009, 6:46 am
That statement rubbed me the wrong way, too. I just copied it without editing.

The Cinematheque is kinda between Talpiyot and the Old City, across from Sultan's Pool amphitheater.
Tickets are 36 (or is it 38?) shekels.

Come on out, especially if you're 'Bored'... Wink

LeahW

Post Thu, Dec 10 2009, 7:35 am
ShiningThrough wrote:
An added message I received today from Judy Winegard, who stars in the film:
Dear Friends,

Please encourage women and girls to attend A Light for Greytowers on Thursday night, Dec 10, at the Jerusalem Cinemateque, very important!

We are concerned that there may be some uninvited men who show up to see the film (chasv'shalom) at this one venue. The best way to prevent that from happening is to have all the seats filled EARLY by women.

I don't mean to start controversy, but that statement above is absurd. If the women involved in this were so concerned that "chas v'shalom" men will come to see the movie, then they shouldn't have made it in the first place.

Chas v'shalom an innocent non-frum couple might come to see it and be made uncomfortable or unwelcome by a bunch of charedi/dati women giving them looks and pushing their way in before they can get a seat.

If this film is meant only for women, why don't they hold it in a venue which will ensure that?

bodybalance

Post Thu, Dec 10 2009, 7:41 am
I called Cinamateque today and they said it costs 28 shekel just for today!

Does anyone know how long the film is? It is starting REALLY late...

Thanks.

ShiningThrough

Post Thu, Dec 10 2009, 8:01 am
1 hour 39 minutes.

bodybalance

Post Thu, Dec 10 2009, 8:03 am
is it good? worth making the effort?

ShiningThrough

Post Thu, Dec 10 2009, 8:15 am
The reviews are positive. Check this thread for feedback of those who've seen it:
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....hter=
My best friend's sister is in it and I'm excited to see her, she's a great singer.
Plus, I just think it's worthwhile supporting a made by women/for women production with a Jewish theme.
And, I'm looking forward to going out with my girls for some kosher entertainment!

merelyme

Post Thu, Dec 10 2009, 8:17 am
I wouldn't encourage frum girls to go to a theater that also shows regular films, even if today's film is "kosher."

Ruchel

Post Thu, Dec 10 2009, 8:18 am
merelyme wrote:
I wouldn't encourage frum girls to go to a theater that also shows regular films, even if today's film is "kosher."

Many frum girls see regular (clean) movies and many rabbanim say there is nothing wrong with it.

merelyme

Post Thu, Dec 10 2009, 8:21 am
But many don't, Ruchel. And many Rabbanim discourage the activity.

In sefer Shemos, where it says about the Jews, "vayishretzu," (a derogatory term), Rashi says that the theaters were filled with Jews.
This is a hashkafah and not outright halachah.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Dec 10 2009, 8:30 am
There's a thread on the difference of theaters (idolatry origin if not idolatry place) and movies. And also the difference between theater before and theater now.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.....eatre

Of course those who aren't allowed, aren't allowed. But I was just saying many can.

LeahW

Post Thu, Dec 10 2009, 9:46 am
merelyme wrote:

I agree. I would go as an adult (I'm already jaded), but wouldn't give my daughters the green light to do it. Not to mention they might get some ideas about being "movie stars" in the frum world.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Dec 10 2009, 9:49 am
What's wrong with being a frum movie star? If you are shomer shabbes, tznius, shomer negia? Ok, few roles and you probably can't live on it.

LeahW

Post Thu, Dec 10 2009, 10:02 am
Ruchel wrote:
What's wrong with being a frum movie star? If you are shomer shabbes, tznius, shomer negia? Ok, few roles and you probably can't live on it.

Look, if that's what they decide for themselves, I won't disown them. But I'm not going to encourage it or put them in an environment where people who perform in these things are praised and admired. I'm all for community women performances, but once you put it on film it's a different story. In my book.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Dec 10 2009, 10:05 am
I don't think showing movies is encouraging to be an actor, unless as you say they're always discussed and praised and admired. Most movies I see, I don't know who the actors are unless one is world famous.

sky

Post Thu, Dec 10 2009, 10:20 am
I'm wondering about the fact that it would be in a movie theater.

We had a male teacher in Bais Yaakov who took us to Williamsburg on a trip . He had grown up in Williamsburg and said that they had to walk below the awning of a movie theater to get to school. It had been stressed to him that they should always cross the street rather then walk under the awning - rather then absorb the tumah from the theater. (I'm not saying this to dabate if theaters are wrong or right, I'm just repeating what he said)

If this is geared toward people who frequent theaters then fine. But if it is for those who would never go into a movie theater then I think it is wrong. Why even have these girls start to think that it is ok?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics