Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Motrin vs tylenol

ray family

Post Wed, Dec 09 2009, 10:51 am
okay so I must be totally clueless I didn't know that there was anything wrong w/ tylenol.
after reading pt of the thread about the babysitter that gave tylenol I came across a few comments about how it can be dangerous and how it can build up on the liver and that motrin is better.
is that really the case?
can s/o clue me in
thanks

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Dec 09 2009, 10:53 am
they do different things.

ray family

Post Wed, Dec 09 2009, 11:56 pm
I know that they do different things.
I was told to use tylenol (acetaminophen) for fevers and teething etc and motrin for body aches and the like.
I was also told that motrin or ibuprofen can bring down a fever more than tylenol can so if its a high fever to use that. or if its a stubborn fever to alternate between the two- also bec. the ibuprofen goes into effect faster.

my question though was really about what the poster said about tylenol building up on the liver I never heard that before. if that's the case then why use it at all if motrin works equally as well?

ozi

Post Thu, Dec 10 2009, 1:12 am
Tylenol is very safe but must be used strictly as directed. ie: must be very careful with dosing, otherwise it can be toxic to the liver.
Motrin can have more side effects, and should always be given with food/milk to protect the stomach. Motrin can also last longer, so requires less frequent dosing and can therefore give a better nights sleep.

Boys"R"Us

Post Thu, Dec 10 2009, 9:58 pm
I don't know the thread that you are referring to.
Motrin can be harder on the stomach than Tylenol.
Tylenol, is completely safe, as long as you follow the dosing directions. If you overdose Tylenol, it can cause serious problems. Use as directed, and it is no problem.

~Debbie

rydys

Post Fri, Dec 11 2009, 3:53 am
Both motrin and tylenol are very safe if useed appropriately. If not, each has potential side effects.

Motrin should be given with food in general because it can be more harsh on the stomach. However, if given alone a few times this does not usually occur. It is generally seen only with long term use.

tylenol does not build up in the liver. However, if too much is given at once it can cause severe, irreversable liver damage. A single overdose of tylenol can completely destroy the liver.

Both bring down fever, but only motrin helps with inflammation so it generally works better for pain from teething and sprains/strains.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics